Dental Health Community
tongue numbness after wisdom tooth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I see many posts here about numbness and wisdom tooth extractions. I am seeking answers too. I had my lower left wisdom tooth taken out on October 29th 2008. It's been almost 2 months and I have this constant, totally uncomfortable, tingling sensation going on on the bottom left side of my gums and tongue. I've lost 15 lbs, which was the only good part, but after eating anything at all - the tingling gets worse. My husband is sad too because intimate kissing of any kind is OUT because it's painful. I've went back to my oral surgeon and he told me that it might take a few months to recover and that there is the possibility that it may not recover at all. - Gosh, I don't want to hear that! I also do a lot of talking with the work that I do and talking is extremely uncomfortable. I would appreciate any answers that anyone out there may have. I'd especially like to hear some good results from someone who has had this problem and then after a time (how much time?) that their numbness went away. I tell you...I'm praying for a miracle!!!
Thank you for any advice - Michelle

This discussion is related to Suffering a numb tongue after dental work.
Seeing a neurologist is advised. Sometimes, pharmacologic management may help restore nerve function.
Hi,  know this was a long time since you wrote this. You might not even see this post. The same thing happened to me, and the feeling hasnt gone away and its now been 10 months. Its been so annoying since day 1 but now Im going crazy from it and cant think about anything else. Its winter now and then i feel it even more when its cold outside. If you will see this post please reply and tell me how it is for you now when a lot of time has passed since it happened. Thanks, Anna