Dental Health Community
too many dental problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

too many dental problems

I just came across this forum in a desperate attempt to try to figure out what's going on with my teeth. Just for background, I'm 22, had braces about 6/7 years ago for maybe 2 years (I don't remember), and since have worn a (I believe it's called a) Hawley retainer on my top teeth almost EVERY night and a fixed retainer on the bottom. Also, more background; I take intense care of my teeth; I brush and floss twice a day- in the morning when I wake up and at night when I go to bed, and floss as needed in addition to that during the day.

About eight months ago, I had a gum tissue graft surgery performed for one of my teeth (I needed it for several teeth but couldn't afford it). Since then, I believe the gums in the area have gone right back to how they were (the periodontist said it looked fine, but I'm concerned because the gums under that tooth look just as low as the other problem areas) and the other areas have gotten significantly worse as well.

In the past few months, I've had multiple cavity fillings and filling replacements done, as well as a root canal. The root canal was done about two months ago, and it is still painful to chew in that area. At the same time, it is also very painful to chew on the other side of my mouth where the fillings were done, and those areas are VERY sensitive to cold. I've basically been having trouble eating anything that's not very soft for an uncomfortably long time.

In addition to this, my teeth have been shifting like crazy in the past few months, even though I have not stopped wearing my retainer. However, there are a lot of markings on my teeth now and what looks like small cracks forming and my teeth also seem to have lost a lot of enamel (they just seem weaker- more transparent), and since I'm not really sure what else it could be from, I'm assuming it's due to the metal on the retainer... but I'm afraid to stop wearing it because of my rapidly shifting teeth. I don't want braces again for many reasons and I'm already upset about my other dental issues that I really don't want completely crooked teeth.

I think that may cover everything. I know this is a lot in one, but I'm not even sure what to do anymore about this stuff as it seems no dentist I've seen seems to think anything is a problem...

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!