Dental Health Expert Forum
too short filling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

too short filling

2 weeks ago,I was to the dentist for a filling(resin-composite) at first molar on the left side..I was numb and I don't realized exactly that the filling was  too high.
I made an appointement after couple of days for reajuste the filling...an incredible ,my dentist took too much from the filling,now the filling is too short,a little it hurt me(throbbing) ,I don't have dental contact on this molar with the uper molar  and all the weight is supported from the oposite side(right side).
What can I do?
It is possible to add some composite to the filling or all the filling must removed and replaced again?
Many thanks for your advice.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like it may need to be redone.   But it is too difficult to tell for sure without seeing it.
anca- Be careful!! I agree that the filling should be redone. If he just puts more filling on top of the exsisting restoration it will be basically like a "patch job". You will have to have the filling removed and redone. You said your tooth was throbbing was that before he adjusted it or after he made it too short? What do you mean by throbbing? When you are eating? When you are just sitting there? To hot? To cold? Does the pain wake you up at night? You need to have this tooth fixed because eventually the tooth above this tooth will naturally continue to erupt or come in until it hits another tooth. Which is not good for the tooth because it will make the bone hieght (which is what holds your tooth in) to be lower and will cause problems for this tooth. Also, probably most importantly is that if you already have sensitivity with this tooth and you have a dentist go back in and redo the filling it could cause other problems. Because the handpiece they use (or drill as some people call it) heats up the tooth A LOT! This causes trauma to the nerve of the tooth which can most of the time only be treated by a root canal with a crown on top of it!! Call your dentist and let them know what you are experiencing and tell them you would like to set-up and appointment in about a week to have a x-ray of the tooth to check the nerve and apex (end of the root) to make sure the tooth is ok. Then you will want to come in and have the filling redone if that is what he reccommends. If the tooth on the x-ray has a round dark area at the end of the root (you will have to look really hard to see it) that is an indication the tooth is not responding to the treatment it had done. If around the root Like the sides where the tooth is held in are dark and the end of the root is not good and pointed that could indicate a problem also. Good-luck!!