Dental Health Expert Forum
tooth abcess(abscess) or jaw cancer?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

tooth abcess(abscess) or jaw cancer?

About 2 years ago my dentist told me I had a large shadow on my dental x Ray (upper jaw). He said he didn't know what it was, but not to worry about it.  I have noticed a swelling or thickening in the gums in that area for some time. My dentist monitors my tooth mobility in that area. In the last 2-3 months I developed tenderness in that area and it bled every time I flossed for about a month. In the last few days I have developed constant aching in that part of my jaw and and it is very tender near one tooth in particular. This tooth also moves slightly when I push it. I have a dentist appointment coming up and I want to get some answers and help. Should I worry about jaw cancer, or is it likely to be a simple tooth abcess (abscess) that he can treat easily? Please help. Thank you in advance.
You may want to ask your dentist to refer you to an endodontist or periodontist (root canal or gum specialist) to get it evaluated.  I understand that we shouldn't perform treatment on something we can't confidently diagnose and solve but at the same time, it doesn't work to allow symptoms to develop without at least seeing a specialist or seeking a second opinion.

Do you locate where tendeness is? the name of tooth stays next to abnormal lesion? Observe the changed color of tooth
In the past, did you feel it was swellinng in the period of time or remain for some days?
Now, have you got hurt or do you have fever?
you'd better upload your dental Xray to make your disease clearer.
A large shadow in X ray often indicate abnormal maxillary bone.
You should go to your OMS to have early diagnosis.