Dental Health Community
tooth decay, can it be delayed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

tooth decay, can it be delayed?

I've got a cavity on my wisdom tooth, and I'm starting to feel sensitivity and even slight pain on it. at the moment ive got no health insurance, but will soon, and will also be getting all my wisdom teeth removed when i get insurance.

whats strange is that i woke up this morning and felt slight pain in both of my jaws, near the back. one side i can clearly see a cavity, the other side i cant find one for the life of me (using mirrors/flashlights). i find it strange that both forms of tooth decay happened on the same day, but it appears so.

anyway im wondering if i can somehow slowdown the progression of the decay, so i can wait my month or 2 and just get the wisdom tooth pulled out when i get my insurance.

i take horrible care of my teeth, i know its bad but true. if i were start brushing flossing, using mouthwash, chewing on garlic, whatever it would take, to just slow down the cavity so it doesn't get any worse, would that work? is it possible?

or once the cavity is formed it just keeps going, regardless of what happens on the tooth surface?
Once a cavity starts, it will keep going, but you can slow it down.  The bacteria in the cavity still need food to grow and eat the tooth.  If you start good oral hygiene practices you can slow down the process in the short term.
If the pain becomes a problem and you have a dental school near you, the prices are usually much cheaper and the work is well supervised.
that is such good news!!!

now my cavity is probably at least mid tooth, might even be approaching the nerve. i heard you cant help it if its that far, and can only help it while its in the enamel.

does this mean there's nothing i can do? or will really good brushing habits still help?
You heard correctly.  If no hole has broken the enamel yet, you can still remineralize the tooth and go back to like nothing happened.

However, once a hole is created, the spot becomes a food and bacteria trap and will keep progressing until it is fixed.

Really good brushing, rinsing, and flossing will help slow down the process (and help the rest of the teeth as well), but the cavity will still grow.  You may be able to slow it enough to wait a couple of months, but I would get into see a dentist asap once you get your insurance.
thats still good new, as long as there is something i can do to slow the decay to give me the needed time.

surprisingly enough the little pain i was feeling yesterday has almost all gone away, maybe i brushed some gunk out or something.

now my mouth is sore as hell from all the spicy toothpaste mouthwash and vigorous brushing haha