tooth extraction followed by cheek abcess
My tooth was cracked.  Dentist pulled it.  2 days later I was in ER with horrible pain.  (When tooth was pulled I had a terrible cold, and asked for antibiotics after the extraction - was told I didn't need them)  Was given pain meds and told to go to an oral surgeon the next day.  Surgeon identified swelling in my cheek - it was warm - he gave me an antibiotic.  Several days later my cheek was the size of a softball - it was very red and hot and hard.  Went back to ER and was put on IV antibiotics.  Was told to go to another oral surgeon the next day.  Went to him and he lanced the inside of my cheek and put a drain in.  He said it was full of pus.He sent me back to the ER for more IV antibiotics.  After 5 hours the ER doc put in a PIC line and sent me home prescribing IV antibiotics once a day for 2 weeks.  Last Tuesday they took out the PIC line and I took my last 3 days of clindamycin (oral).  3 days later it began to swell again.  Yesterday went to the oral surgeon again and he sliced open the inside of my cheek and a bunch of brown liquid came out.  More antibiotics.I now have a "dimple" indentation on my cheek.  Med. malpractice?  This started March 7 - I've missed 3 weeks of work - worn out.  help!!

This discussion is related to can tmj make your teeth hurt bad.