Dental Health Community
tooth pain after root canal and crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

tooth pain after root canal and crown

Over 5 years ago, I had a root canal and crown done on a lower back molar.  It was still very sensitive after treatment.  After my insistence that the pain was still there, the dentist thought it was referred pain from the molar behind it, so I  got a root canal and crown on that tooth as well, several years ago.  I'm still experiencing pain to hot and cold and sensitivity to sweet.  I'm sure it is one of those two molars.  I have been back to the endodontist who checked the teeth with both hot and cold, and I had no reaction.  The gum around and between the teeth seems sensitive to me as well.  One of the crowns is receding (I don't think the fit was right from the beginning)  and needs to be replaced, the other crown needed a filling to close a gap.  After the 2nd crown got the filling, my sensitivity decreased by about 95% for 6 months or so.  One night at dinner, a hot soup set it off again, I went weeks with incremental throbbing in the area.  The dentist and endodontist insist that the root canals have not failed and there is nothing more they can do.  I'm wondering if the gum or area around the tooth can be sensitive (there is no noticeable swelling).  Or can something else be wrong?  I'm at a loss, since I've now been to 4 different dentists and one endodontist who claim it can't be happening.  Help?!  Also--whenever my tooth becomes sensitive, I start tapping on teeth trying to narrow it down--the only two teeth that seem to be sensitive are the two with root canals and crowns.  It doesn't make any logical sense at all, but it still seems to be happening.
you probably have the same thing i do. i had a root canal many years ago and it has hot and cold issues too. sometimes it just hurts for no reason at all. it looks great to both my dentists. the only thing it could be is a root fracture. they dont usually show up on xrays and there is nothing that can be done to fix it. the tooth will eventually be fatal. i decided since the degree of pain is not constant or unbearable i will live with it. my dentist keeps a close watch on it since its a matter of time before it wlil get infected and have to be pulled.
Thanks Lynn, if for nothing else, to validate my concerns.  Often I have felt that the dentists think I'm making this all up.  What is a root fracture?
its a crack that vertically goes to the root tip. it rarely shows up on an xray.
Did you ever get a final answer for this?  Because I'm having the exact same problem---only it is two upper front teeth and two lower front teeth, with several teeth between them that are also being affected.  Unlike others, I can't just "live with it," since I can't talk or eat solid food or brush, am in constant agony, and am on opiate pain meds.  Like with your problem, endodontists are throwing up their hands and nothing is being done.