Dental Health Community
tooth pain after white fillings

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

tooth pain after white fillings

I had two white filling done sec week of sep. (I had no problem with teeth before just  had old silver fillings on them) since I had it done I have only have this dull pain with headache, it is very sensitive to cold and hot, painfull  chewing.my dentistit checked my bite and is sugesting a root canall ( ON A PERFECTLY HEALTH TOOTH? i asked him.i really want to avoid to have a rc done,i think he is taken the easy way to solve this problem.my question is how long does the pain can last after having white fillings put on.is anyone with similar problem out there ?! pls give some feedback i have been in pain for too... long and i' m tired off taking pain killers.
Your symptoms sound like that of reversible pulpitis.  This is very common after a white filling.  White fillings are glued to your teeth then shrink very slightly putting extra stresses on your teeth making the nerve over sensitive to cold, hot and chewing.  My advice would be avoid anything cold on the tooth for a month or so and see how it goes.  If problems persist after then go back to your dentist.  If you find pain comes on without stimulus or wakes you up in the night then go back also.
Thanks for your prompt response. I have been back to see my dentist twice,first he check my bite said was ok, second visit he cheked bite again, them he sugested the root canal which I thaught he was jumping in to soon,before ofering any other solution (my guess is that he is afraid as he drill to  to remove the white fillings replacing w/ silver fillings it would go deeper ma closer to the nerve, )I've heard of air pocket left could that have been my problem? is it common to place  medicine before the filling?how efective is it should i be asking my dentist for that? as said it has been over two month since i have it done and I think i would go for the replacement before root canal option.
thanks  alot
well he may have suggested root canal because while removing the silver and preparing to add the white, the cavity prep may have gotten too close to the pulp (tooth nerves).... so if that's the case, the suggestng the root canal is the best thing to do.  The medicine that is placed is mostly a liner or a base that is used to literally LINE and BASE the 'hole' that is about to be filled to attempt to protect the person from pain IF the 'hole' was too close to the pulp.  Every time you get a 'replacement' there is more destruction to the tooth.  From just what I've read..sounds to me that root canal therapy is the best option.  it's really not as bad as people pretend...LOL

well stateofconfusion i have been to see another dentist for sec opinion ,sowed the xrays... this  is what she says: the hole is not that deep so not closeto the nerve she was kind enoughf to check my bite again which looked off ,add gel do desinsetize my tooth since them I felt a great reliavet .I think part of  the problem  is that we some sloppy dentists out there(Canada-greatr Vancouver area) in a race to get rich fast, they dont really want to take spend extra time to each patient.even as my dentist was drilling on my teeth at the same time he was constantly been interropted by his secretary discussing some patients schedules or ways of paymts.i do have more silver fillings ( about 20 yrs old) done by much lesser trained dr. in underdevelopd place I never needed to go back to have bite cheked or have in smooth like I had with thes one now.Also how come every tooth with a old silver filling shows a decai underneath it ? sounds a little wierd to me .and that is what he says i have .I think is just another way to get more from you Guess the near $ 2,700. was not enough I paid for five baddly rough done replacement  that left with this much pain and agony.MY WORD TO ALL : BE AWARE FOR CHARLATOES IN THE COQUITLAM AREA .
Still in pain