Dental Health Expert Forum
tooth pain and weird symptoms

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

tooth pain and weird symptoms

I have recently been prescribed Z-pack and then amoxycillin for what appeared to be a sinus infection (pain in face and upper and lower jaw on one side).  The amoxycillin cleared it up finally, but now it is returning with more obvious signs that it is from my back upper right molar, with pain when I chew and pretty consistent throbbing.  The first antibiotic was early-December, the second was right after.  I have a prescription for augmentin xr that I have not yet begun, but don't know if that is appropriate for a tooth infection?  I also now have a strange itching on lower arms and all along my jaw line that is spreading each day.  Not red, except when I itch. More like a goosebump feeling that doesn't go away.  Is that possibly from the tooth problem?  Afraid my doc is tired of me calling...and there solution seems to be to just prescribe stronger antibiotics each time which I oppose.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I do not believe that you should be taking anymore antibiotics until you discover the cause of the discomfort. If your doctor is tired of you calling get a new doctor. I think you must      look into the possibility of one of your teeth needing root canal therapy. Go see a dentist and find out what is going on.
not sure about the itching in the arms, which sounds more like an allergic response. If you feel your problem is related to a tooth or teeth, you need to see a dentist or an oral surgeon for diagnosis and treatment. As you now know, antibiotics can be only a temporary solution.
I have a permanent crown on a lower back molar that was placed after a root canal in Nov. '06... This crown has never felt like it fits properly... I can chew on it, but I get a little pressure feeling and itch around the gum line afterwards... Sometimes if feels like a burning sensation... Especially after I floss right between the crown and other molar... I also would get a shooting pulsating feeling under the crown... So one day last week I chewed on some Fritos and the shooting sensation (itch) on the crown and other back tooth went away... Chewing on something hard like chips took the itch away... Weird, I know... Any idea what these symptoms really could be?
That is a strange symptom (the itching around crown). I have had only one root canal ever and even though it saves the tooth it never feels the same.  Very sensitive to cold in that area.  Usually doctors say pain or tingling are caused by a nerve somewhere so maybe that is what is causing your temporary itching problem.

I had the upper right molar pulled out after dentist told me it was absessed.  That is what was causing all my pain!  That was on Tuesday and now it is Saturday and still sore on my gum line around extraction area.  Very frustrating.  My dentist is wonderful and gentle and even though it's my least favorite thing to do he makes it all bearable.  I can't see any bone showing so I'm doubting dry socket, but any idea how long the pain lasts?  I'm usually a good healer, so I wasn't worried too much about complications, but my mouth has always been VERY sensitive so maybe I'm being too impatient?
Hello friend,
             you will find out the solution for your problem in http://www.couponcircle.com/couponlist/2613/dentalplans.com.Here dental plans as well as offers are well.