Dental Health Expert Forum
tooth pain from crown that was too high for weeks

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Basic question: will a root canal fix it?  Background: I had crowns put on my front teeth and one was too high for weeks. Initially I developed pain in my jaw and then the teeth with the high crown started to ache along with the teeth in the bottom (which was healthy before).  I went to the dentist and they fixed the high crown problem (in several visits because after a couple of weeks the crown was high again, maybe my jaw/bite was readjusting). The jaw pain went away but I have been living with chronic pain in my two teeth for three years. The pain is not acute but sufficient to bother me at night when I have to sleep with my mouth closed because the cold air make the ache more pronounced. The dentist has done several procedures to fix it (new crowns, cut gum) but none have worked.  I suspect that I have some kind of fracture in the two teeth and that I would need a root canal to fix it.  Will this solve my problem? At this point, I don't care how much I have to spend; I just cannot live with this pain and sleepless nights anymore.  Should I try the root canal in the bottom tooth (the one without the crown) first to see if that removes the pain?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would certainly consider getting a consult with an endodontist with reference to your two front teeth. I would not do anything with the lower tooth until the other teeth are treated.