Dental Health Community
unable to remove upper partial dentures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

unable to remove upper partial dentures

I had an upper partial denture (front 4 teeth) fitted 2 days ago. I was told by my dentist to leave it in overnight for the firts night and remove and clean the next day. It is now 48hours since it was fitted and I am still unable to remove it. It feels like it wont budge. I understand that there is a vacuum and I need to break the seal  but honestly I am tugging away and they are stuck. Hope someone can give me some advice. I dread o think whats going on under the dentures.
I know the feeling!!  I, too, had a partial for the top four front teeth.  I panicked the first time I couldn't get them out.  

I have to presume yours have small metal clips that attach to your back teeth.  If this is so, try taking your fingernails and prying down from the clip part. The clip slips up over the top of your tooth so you have to pry them down over the ridge at the top of your tooth.  I was finally able to get mine to come off the one side.  The rest was easy after that.

If you're really having a tough time, your dentist can relax the clip part that hold them in.  

If you have some other type of partial, I'm not sure how you would do it but breaking the suction is easiest if you approach it from one side.

Hopes this helps.  Brush them normally in the meantime and get to your dentist if you're not successful.

GOOD LUCK!

My best to you,
Gellia
Hi Gellia
Thank you so much for your kind advice. I have managed by using a towel to grip the denture. I only hope I can replace it without too much trouble.
Thanks again.
Keith
Congratulations!!  I'm sure it will get easier now!  

Good luck and best to you,
Gellia
Is there any way to remove a dental partial if you don't have strong enough finger nails?