Dental Health Expert Forum
white bumps on my gums

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

white bumps on my gums

I have white bumps on my gums I have been looking up gum disease and periodontitis and I think I have perioddontitis I have two of them on my upper gums one on the left and one on the right  but the one  on my left seems like it went down and is  flat  like now but is still white now the one on my right is still there and I can't tell if it got slightly bigger or is still the same though. the bump is more like hard like and not liquidy like a  pimple I have been taking listerine and brushing my teeth after every meal since I encountered and learned more about this. My gums look more pinkish now near my teeth but above it I still have red gums under my lips  and in my bottom gums I have a small line of red gums but doesn't look that bad however closer to the teeth on the bottom gums I can see purplish on like 4 teeth in the front and on the side of the bottom row I dont see that, s. and I noticed also noticed like one or two  purple blotch spots on my upper gums that used to be red. is that a sign of healing if the gums turn from red to purple or can that be worse?  I missed my  dentists appoint so I had to reschedule for another 2 weeks to wait. luckly my teeth don't look horrible. i have some crooked teeth but most people can't even tell there twisted unless I open my mouth and pull down my lips so they can see it. and my teeth were always white and my breath never stinks so I was alittle surprised to get them even though I should have expected because my gums were bleeding and didnt use mouth wash at the time.

what are some other ways I can clean out or treat the pockets other then what I am doing or is there something else other then listerine or maybe better for this
It sounds like you've improved your oral hygiene habits, which is great.  Keep up the good work.

As for your condition, it does sound like you have some periodontal issues with heavy tartar (or what we call calculus) buildup.  Unfortunately, the tartar buildup is hard to remove by brushing, flossing or mouthwash.  That's why you need to go a dentist for them to remove it with those metal instruments.  If its been awhile and the buildup is severe, they may need to do what we term "root planing," which basically means we need to scrap below the gums to remove any buildup underneath it.  If you don't remove it, it can affect the bone of the jaw and will loosen your teeth.  Now this process generally takes months to years so you don't have to panic and get the cleaning immediately, but you should definitely seek care and see if this is your situation.

my teeth dont seem to have gaps though thank goodness but I still seem to have an infection