Dental Health Expert Forum
white spot on gum/new bridge

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

white spot on gum/new bridge

Yesterday I had a 4-tooth bridge placed on the lower right side of my mouth. The back molar anchoring the bridge had a root canal several years ago and prior to having the bridge replaced this time around, I needed to have the crown lengthened. The preparation several weeks ago was quite painful and my gums were swollen and tender for a week, but felt fine by the time I had the permanent bridge placed yesterday.

The new bridge, itself feels fine, but the gum around the back tooth is very swollen and it looks like there is a white line around the base of the crown (which is gold). The white line almost looks like the gum is trying to heal (maybe new gum tissue?) but one spot is particularly sore when I brush and looks like a very small white bump/spot (rather than a line following the gum). Could this be a canker sore from all the pushing and retraction of the gum yesterday? I hope that it isn't an abscess (infection). My gum feels sore but not like it is infected. I have been rinsing with warm salt water and peridex. Should I give my gum a couple of days to heal from the new crown/bridge and settle down or should I be immediately worried?
I would keep an eye on it for a few more days.  If it doesn't go away, I would recommend going back to the dentist.  Perhaps the new bridge sits more tightly so the tissue is blanching from the pressure?
Thanks for your comment! I am happy to report that after a few days it is much better. The whiteness is disappearing and the swelling has gone down.
That's good to hear.  Glad it worked out well