Dental Health Community
white stuff stuck in back of throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

white stuff stuck in back of throat

This is not a question but a solution.J
Just wanted to let you know I can relate. I had these nasty monsters for years and didn't dare date due to the stench. Finally, after 15 years I went to the doctor when I got really sick and was told that I had a sinus infection. The doctors gave me amoxicillin 875mg and psuedovent 400mg. Prior to this, I bought a water pik that would lodge them out and then I bought a neti pot with their solution. I am not sure which did the trick but I can honestly say that I have not had a problem with tonsilith(sp) or the white stuff in my throat for months. Normally, I would get them once every 2 to 3 weeks. I know what you are going through and hope this helps. I had tried everything from therabreath products to biotene. The salt gargling lodged them but they would soon return.
they're called tonsil stones
It all started when I was 11 and I had trouble swallowing food, my throat would get really tight, and it would only happen at night. I never told anyone because I was afraid of what the outcome of it would be, but fortunatley it went away for like 2 years.  Recently, it kind of has came back, but I can swallow a lot better now.  I can''t understand why it only happens at night. Sometimes my throat just gets really tight, and once I had trouble breathing. I've looked up symptoms and it anxiety, throat allergies, and a bunch of other stuff.  But I just looked in the back of my throat and saw like white stuff, and I think I saw other things like bumps almost? But they are very little and they don't hurt.  I'm not sure what this is. Does any one have an idea? Also when I go outside, it's a lot easier for me to breathe and swallow, if I'm having trouble at all.  Maybe I can just go to a free clinic and get checked out? Ahh
iv actually got white bits bumps at back of my throat now, iv been 2 doctors before and got stuff 4 it but its never worked. iv had it 4 years now and on 1 side of my throat it has actually made a hole and from looks of the othe side its startin 2 do the same. iv never really had a proper explanation y this is and when i mentioned the hole the doctor dint say owt, it doesnt hurt but it is startin 2 get really annoyin now and i just want it 2 go and not come bk
To andrea220, those little holes and what you are seeing are perfectly normal, so please lay your fears aside.  The "holes" are little pockets in your tonsils called "crypts."  Every day your tonsils shed oral mucosa (just mucus, it's a natural and healthy thing for your body to have), and in some people it will have difficulty leaving those little crypts and build up 'causing little white balls called tonsilloliths, or tonsil stones.  Gently pressing around them (if you can keep yourself from gagging) should encourage them to dislodge if they are bothering you, other wise they will more than likely dislodge themselves on their own.  They can also be made of built up bacteria and food particles, so if you smoke, quitting will help.  Healthy food choices seem to help as well, and coffee drinking can potentially lead to more of them, and isn't a healthy habit anyways.  Try gargling frequently (whenever you brush your teeth) with an alcohol free mouth wash or salt water solution to help keep those little crypt pockets clean.  Good luck,God bless, and try not to worry, you're just fine(0:
Thank you for this information.  It puts my mind at ease.  I appreciate your explanation.