Dental Health Community
why do I keep biting my cheek?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

why do I keep biting my cheek?

My wisdom tooth on the lower right side of my mouth is coming in. I really don't feel any pain from it except the fact that I keep biting my cheek on that side. I can't eat because I bite down on my cheek!! To chew I have to pull my cheek out. It hurts really bad it is sore now due to the fact of how many times I have bitten it. I can't open and close my mouth at all without biting it. Please can someone help me and tell me y this might be? Is my wisdom tooth infected and causing my cheek to swell? I need help thanks!!!!
Cheek biting is generally caused by insufficient horizontal overlap of posterior teeth, particularly molars.Seeing a dentist to have minor reshaping of posterior teeth is advised.
omgg i havee the same problem! my wisdom teeth are coming in and i keep biting the left side of my cheek. its like, i cnt eat without biting down on it, or even talk it times. its soo sore, and it cnt even heal because i keep biting it. ugh, someone help!
My sympathies go out to the others with this problem.  I have three teeth that stick out on the left side and they tend to catch my cheek and bite it or at least just scrape it.

i have figured out in my case that the teeth probably got crowded on that side and were forced outward.  The right side probably didn't acquire the trouble because lost teeth allowed for less crowding.

I have discovered that considerable relief can be gained by quickly rapping on the side of the lower jawbone with the knuckles after a biting incident.  The vibration sooths and speeds healing.  Your results may vary.

Today I did check to confirm that teeth were sticking out toward my left cheek and so I hope to ask the dentist if grinding them down somewhat is an option.  
everybody stating there problem but no one gave idea's im really in pain.
can anybody help?????????????
The best option is to remove the wisdom teeth.Although my dentist advised me to do this 4 years ago I kept ignoring it until the cheek biting incidents
became more frequent and pain got worse.

I just had my 2 wisdom teeth extracted this morning and hoping my cheek lump would regress.
did you get the help you need yet? When it doubt, don't come on here. Go to any dentist for a limited exam, maybe an xray. That should be a reasonable fee. You don't have to automatically have full mouth xrays or cleaning and pay a lot more than you can afford if you aren't insured. But always take any pain seriously, ok? you could have an abcess (abscess) which requires an antibiotic and or treatment immediately. Dont let fear keep you away, it won't get any better, only worse. Tough it out, and become a dental regular and avoid these nightmares which mean you aren't visiting your dentist enough to feel comfortable there!
Eat a couple pieces of ice and the pain and swelling will go away in about 5 minutes.
Yeah cheek biting is a real bummer. I tend to have canker sores all over my mouth because of this. Does the reshaping cost a lot of money? I'm planning to have it after my graduation.