Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
ADD medication and mellowness

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

ADD medication and mellowness
My 17 year old son has been taking Adderall XR for a few months.  He takes 30 mg twice a day.  It seems that when he is medicated he is very mellow.  He hasn't ever been hyperactive but his personality seems to be stifled when medicated.  It makes him easy to be around but I worry about the affect on his social life.  He has always been very quiet, shy and reclusive but the medication seems to make him even more so.  He is involved in extra-curricular sports activities in high school but seems to just stay home when not at events.  I worry that his extreme mellowness makes him rather dull to be around.  He seems happy though and his grades are very good.  We have tried other medications and the Adderall is the one that he likes the best.  Maybe I am worrying about nothing.
It seems you may be worrying about nothing if your son is really doing so well and it is his choice to stay home more, and that is productive and meaningful time for him.  On the other hand, he may be avoiding the challenge of social relationships with peers and potential girlfriends.  It would be best to have an honest conversation with him about these issues, setting it up by your last comment " Maybe I am worrrying about nothing."