Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
About Paxil WIthdrawal

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

About Paxil WIthdrawal

I have been trying to get off paxil...I've been on it almost 4 years.  I've tried to get off of it once before but b/c of stressful events in my life, the panic returned.  I've been feeling good this time, no anxiety or panic.  (I'm down to 10 mg. from 40 mg.)  But when I move my eyes to the left or right or up or down, I get a disturbing feeling of a zap-like nervousness, and an increased heart rate.  Because of this, I am afraid to move my eyes too much.  I know this sounds ridiculous, but I am truly concerned about it.  Has anyone heard of this before?  And what can I do about it? I'm tired of being on meds, and I have gained around 40 lbs on it.
Dear Amanda,

From your letter, you seem overwhelmed.
You have brought up many concerns; weight gain, an unusual side
effect and the discomfort of being on medication so many years.
As you have mentioned Paxil is effective treatment for your anxiety and panic attacks. There are alternatives, such as Celexa or Prozac which may cause less weight gain.  With any medication proper diet and exercise are important.
I am unaware of Paxil causing the side effect you mentioned.  It is also possible that it is a symptom of anxiety.  Consult your
psychiatrist for a proper evaluation.
Finally the medication you are on is effective. Many patients with panic disorder need chronic medication to keep the disorder in remission.

Best Wishes

HFHS M.D.-SW

*Keywords: Paxil, Panic Disorder, Anxiety disorder
I have read about the "textbook" side-effects of Paxil
withdrawal, as well as the comments offered by users
of this forum.  Of these, Amanda's experience most
closely matches my own.  When I stopped taking Paxil,
the only noticeable side-effect was that I would
experience an intense (yet brief) moment of dizziness /
disorientation whenever I moved my eyes or closed
them quickly.  This lasted for about a week, and was
very difficult to cope with.
Dear Amanda,
I'm guessing the doctor who replied to your query has nothing at all to do with anti-depressants.  Otherwise he or she would know that Paxil in particular has really nasty withdrawal side-effects for many people.  They include what you described, plus, nausea, vomiting, headache, insomnia, vertigo and dizziness.  I have tried 10 times or more to withdraw, and just couldn't do it until now.  I am taking Wellbutrin as well, and the reason I started it was help with those symptoms, but it only helped to a small extent.  Mind you, I was only taking 5MG of paxil a day. In the end, it was only determination and grit that got me through it.  Actually, after a week the symptoms are still quite vivid.  Herbs that have helped are Kava Kava for the overwhelming irritation and anxiety, and Valerian for sleeping.  I came upon your question while searching for further help, of which there is little.  It's not "all in your head", and an easy way to find out is to go back on it to see if the symptoms subside.  I suggest that you listen to your innate wisdom, rather than relying solely on MD's advice.  Respectfully, yours in suffering.
I experienced the same symptoms, but they, after several months, still occur when I am tired.  Please....the symptoms (anxiety, dizziness) are from the medicine not depression....get with it!!!!
I recently found out about paxil withdrawal myself.
I have been taking it for a year and have really felt
a great deal better on it. This past week I was busy
with work and so on and just didnt get around to
getting a refil. I was off it on thursday, and by
monday I was feeling pretty strange. I should first
mention that I felt a gradual depression come over me
over those days. It was not an intense depression but
enough for me to notice. Then by sunday I was geting
what I now call the neuro-shivers, meaning that when
I moved around I got this wave of dizziness through
my neck, head, and eyes. It is one of the strangest
sensations I have ever felt.

This information I discovered is a little scary, and
made me think a lot about what it would be like to
get off paxil completely. I have also gained weight
on paxil. Though I have an improved diet since being
on it, I find that I gain an average of 2 pounds
every month. (This may also be a lifestyle issue, but
I feel it is worth mentioning as a possible side-effect)

THIS MAKES ME MAD!!! Trust me I am glad that paxil helps
me conquer my anxiety attacks, but I just wish there was
a way to better inform people before they get on these
drugs. I guess I blindly trusted everyone who contributed
to me being put on paxil, and I wonder where I would
be if I researched the effects of it myself, before
getting hooked.

-timothy
I have been on 40mg of Paxil for almost a year now for an anxiety disorder. I too have gained weight, enough to notice, I have never had a problem with weight gain in my life! I wanted off! With the help of my semi-knowledgeable doctor I am currently taking 5mg. after weaning down to 20, 10 and so on. I am having a very horrible withdrawal problem! I too have the visual and heart rate problem. I am extremly agitated and little things make me want to explode! I am nauseated and have a horrible headache! Please, anyone let me know how long this lasts, and if I will ever completely be off of this horrible drug!
I've been on Paxil for 6 years and 2 months ago went to 40 mg from 20. I have had the same sensation in my head - moving my eyes and feeling as though I was dragging cotton through my head at the same time. Also, my head feels like it's itching from the inside out - particularly at the back by my neck.
CANT FIND WHERE I WAS TALKING BEFORE but,, i've been very successful in coming off paxil and wanted to pass it on,,, i found the way dr recommended, one day on one day off was not working,, i dont understand why they tell you to do that since paxil doesnt stay in your body over 24 hours,, i was on 20 mg all along, so went to 10 mg daily for about 1 month,, then split that even further and did 5 mg for about 1 month,, then i just stopped and didnt miss it,, only very little lightheadedness and fatigue during the withdrawal,, but nothing like when i would skip doses,hope this helps someoone!
I'm sorry HFHS M.D.-SW, you are providing a great service here, but if you do not know about the withdrawal symptom of dizziness you must have been in the wilderness for the last few years. This is probably the most commonly reported symptom of Paxil withdrawal. Almost every person on this forum mentions it. On my web site at http://www.swhite.cwc.net/paxil/index.html it takes the top position.

If doctors would try listening to the patients instead of patronising and looking down at them we might all be a little further along the road as regards medical discovery.

I would like to state again that this forum service and your responses are greatly appreciated, but this kind of statement beggars belief.
I was on Paxil for about a year due to anxiety caused by krohns disease. I also had many withdrawl (withdrawal) effects.Dizziness, nausea, headache. The Paxil worked great for my condition and was not very difficult to stop taking (for me anyway).But what I remember the most was the eye thing. Whenever I looked down, right, or left I felt the strangest sensation. It was almost like a zap or a tug on the back of my eyes. Sometimes I thought I could feel it all the way to my neck. It was very disturbing!
But after a couple of weeks it just went away and I haven't had any problems since.
I've been off Paxil for about a week or so I guess...the last few days have been miserable. I can cope with the little bit of nausea and nervousness I feel at present, but I read a comment elsewhere about "brain attacks" and wonder if it might be similar to what I've experienced. Since I'm clearly in sympathetic company, here goes: it feels like my consciousness is going to "shut down". It's as if my senses fog over, but not in a literal sense. For example, I feel sometimes as if my vision is graying over, but not externally - it's as if it's happening in my mind somewhere...hard to explain...I'm just "relieved" that it's not just me. I have lots more reading to do, but for now it was just good to vent. Thanks.
I'm having the exact same eye-dizziness symptoms...I thought I might have some kind of neuroligical disorder so I'm glad to hear this might be related to the Paxil withdrawal!
I am in the process of weaning myself from paxil.  I went from 20 mg, down to 10mg.  By the fifth day, my anxiety returns.  I've tried this three times now.  The anxiety is slight, not as bad as it was when I originally went on paxil.   I am wondering if maybe mentally I am ready to no longer take paxil, but not physically?   What are some suggestions?   Would it be better to slowly wean by trying 15mg for a while?  if so for how long?  Or am I somebody that may need to be on this type of medication for the rest of my life?  Any answers would be helprful.  Thanks!
I am currently weening off of Paxil.
I have found that smoking small amounts of marijuana at a time have helped me through times of anxiety. It is so stupid that this plant is illegal. It is a natural non prescription and it works! I haven't tried St. John's Wort, but may consider it if my doctor doesn't push me on an SSRI again.
Dear Amanda!
You were not imagining your side effects. I have just experienced the same incapacitating symptom of Paxil withdrawal. It is like a dizziing zap when you move your eyes whether they are open or not.
Is there a recommended procedure to go off Paxil?  My symptoms lasted 3 weeks and I gave up and went back on. Could a doctor please respond?
To all the dr's,pharms,and smithkline & beecham sales reps, I hope you all burn in hell for ignoring the torcher of paxil withdrawl (withdrawal). When I was presciribed paxil I wasn't told of the extreme withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. Word of the withdrawl (withdrawal) problem had long been heard of at the time of my dr. prescibing paxil. I'd rather go back to the panic attacks than deal with the nausea, diziness, headaches, nervousness, and the added anxiety of not knowing how long this nightmare will last. I've seen some postings about a class action lawsuit being implemented. Well, count me in. E-mail me if you know of any info regarding any treatments for the withdrawls or the lawsuit against smithkline & Beecham. e-mail (***@****)
I have been on paxil for about a year now I took 30mg then went to 20mg now I'm on 10mg. Since I started taking only 10mg I have been feeling very weird like tired, aggitated, sleepy and one of the bigest ones feeling numb like I'm not able to feel my self. I was just wondering if anyone has felt like that when they decreased the dosage.
I sympathize with all of you.  I have been taking Paxil for panic attacks for about four months now.  Last week I was low on medication and was not able to get to the doctor to have my prescription refilled.  I took my last pill on a Wednesday.  By Friday of that week I began to feel very odd.  The only way I can describe what I was experiencing is to say that waves of electrical current were whooshing through different areas of my body, mainly my head and eyes.  In my case it seemed to depend on movement, or contact, of some part of my body with another part or an object.  If I took a step the current would seem to travel up my leg, but not with every step.  If I touched my hand to my leg, the current would move up that arm and down my leg from the point of contact.  The most disturbing episodes involved my head and eyes.  Eye movement or repositioning of my glasses on my face would send a wave of current through my eyes and top of my head..sometimes my whole face would be affected.   I would often feel as though I was going to lose consciousness.

I did not associate this new behaviour on the lack of Paxil in my system.  I didn't know what was happening to me at all but was worried and frightened enough to see a doctor at a walk-in clinic on the following Monday.  I found it extremely difficult to explain what was happening to me.  He had never heard of these symptoms before.  He did the normal in-office tests...blood pressure, heart rate, reflexes...all was normal.  He told me that he felt I was just highly sensitive and not to worry.

By Thursday, eight days after having stopped the Paxil, I went to my family doctor as the symptoms were worsening.  He basically echoed what the walk-in clinic doctor had said.  He told me not to worry and it would go away.  He said if I worried about it I could produce all kinds of other symptoms and make things worse.  He renewed my Paxil prescription while I was there.

I began to take the Paxil again that night (20 mg/day).  The next day I experienced none of those dreadful symptoms.  I felt perfectly normal once again.  As I mentioned earlier, it occured to me not at all that the lack of Paxil was causing these symptoms..and both doctors did not appear to know about the possibility of this occuring at all.  I only realized it after starting the Paxil again and being rid of the hell I was in for eight long days.

So what happens now?  If I ever have to come off Paxil again, what then?
My gosh!  I thought it was just me.  I would like to stop Paxil also but I have had the same exact problem with my vision!  My problem is so severe that it causes me to vomit.  I am trying to wean off slowly now, as this problem has interfered with my job.
I have been trying to go off of paxil for 3 yrs. now, and could almost cry with relief to know that there are others out there who are experiencing the same things as me.  

I finally went off cold turkey.  It has been two weeks.  The yucky physical symptoms were there for 2 or 3 days (shaking, sweating achy) but the other disturbing symptoms are very similar to what you all describe.  I have increased bouts of anxiety.  I can't handle even the smallest issue without breaking into a gut tightening, heart pounding panic.  I'm scared to go to bed, because then I'll sit awake and worry and wreck my body even more from all this worrying!  The eye comment was very interesting to me.  I have told a NUMBER of doctors about how I feel this wierd wave of pulsating and dizziness in my head that creeps up unexpectedly.  It never occured to me that it could be related to my eyes, but I'm pretty convinced it's possible.  I move my eyes to one side or the other and that wierd feeling comes back again.  It feels......wooly on the inside of my head, the pounding I mean.  Can anyone relate to this more?

thanks
Hey :) I just wanted to say that I have been experiencing the same symptoms that you have been talking about.  I have been on paxil for about 2 months and have only taken 10 mg.  I forgot to take it one day and actually mentally felt better so i decided to stop, but these sensations were killing me.  I couldn't hardly walk and I had to miss school.  I was scared because I didn't know what it was, but I have found out that it's called Electric Shock Sensations or something like that. Another thing that I have been experiencing is that I get really angry over little things and I've even started throwing things.  I am very glad to be getting off this medication.  It's been about a week and I'm still experiencing it, but hoping it will go away soon.
I have experienced these withdrawal symptoms mentioned at this site, while still taking this drug!  It occurs if I am late in taking it, for example it can't be taken after 10:00a.m. or the dizziness and head zapping thing kicks in.  I had never been able to clearly explain what that was like, I just know that I need to lie down when it occurs. My doctor has just approved my weaning myself off and I certainly hope that I lose this WEIGHT that I have gained!!!! Over 20 pounds!  I thought it was my age. That has been almost as depressing as the PMS that instigated my starting this prescription! I put off the weaning process so that I could attend a presentation I was speaking at before these terrible symptons hit me full force.  I am writing in support of those people looking for understanding about what Paxil actually does to a person physically.
I have been on Paxil for six years now foloowing a head trama.  Is there any way I can take myself off the drug cause my doctors say I am going to be on it for life.  If I miss half a dose I cry a lot.  Thank you
Everyone, I also have had a problem trying to stop my need for Paxil. It has helped me while I was on it, but trying to stop has been hell. I tried to stop cold turkey, which isn't a good idea, and had very bad spells of dizziness. Even after trying to lower my doses steadily, I still had problems with dizziness. I don't know how long they could possibly last, but hopefully someday I can beat the need for this drug.
I too, am trying to get off Paxil.  I was recently diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome that was causing me to have sleep deprivation.  I was prescribed Mirapex to increase the dopamine in the brain to decrease the leg movements.  Immediately after the first night of taking the Mirapex I felt wonderful.  I was rested, not yawning all day, did not wake up gritting my teeth,no pain in my jaw and best of all I could think clearly!  To sum it up I just felt wonderfully normal!   So I figured I would no longer need the Paxil and I asked my Doctor if I could cut my prescrip from 30 to 20, which she did.  After just a few days I felt tired, irritable, very impatient, even my co-workers noticed this, and I have had a headache for five days.  I took my headache medicine, Imitrex, but the headache won't stay away.  I also experienced very poor balance.  Along with a mild depression.  In the matter of less the two weeks I went from feeling almost giddy with delight because I felt so very normal to headachy, nauseatious, irritable, tired and depressed.  I can't wait to get completely off this drug.
Amanda,

Regarding the "zap-like nervousness"...I get this feeling too if I do not take paxil for 2-4 days.  It is hard to describe but it is almost like getting shocked.  It sort of feels like someone "unplugged you" for a split second.  I do not get it when I move my eyes though...just seems to happen whenever it is low in my system.

It is very difficult to get off.  I too have gained 20 lbs. over 5 years being on it.
I am really sick and tired of doctors telling me that Paxil is the "right medication for me"..I've been slowly trying to get off of Paxil, and I am experiencing the same symptoms exactly.  It's come to the point of me calling in sick to work.  The doctors that I have been to about my discomfort insist that Paxil has minimal side effects from withdrawl (withdrawal), yet reading pages like this make me realize that I'm not going crazy and that these physical symptoms are indeed a direct result of withdrawl (withdrawal).  Good luck to everybody.
Thank you all so much!!! I'm coming off of Paxil, too, and I can't stand the eye thing!!  I was 10 mg for about 2 years, and I gained 30 pounds. Diet and exercise have not helped. I'm switching to wellbutrin. I've been off Paxil for 5 days now, and I already have more energy, less of an appetite, and no deppresion symptoms so far. I know that these withdrawal symptoms will go away, but it helped me so much to read all of your stories, too. By the way, I'm studying for my Masters in nutrition, and I've learned that you need to check your diet. Lots of deppression can be helped with B vitamins(lots!), amino acids, and essential fatty acids(fish oils or rapeseed). It's helping me a lot, and I hope to be able to be med-free soon! Good luck to all of you.
Thanks to everyone for posting such great replies.  I, too am coming off of this drug and it has been a scary situation to say the least.  I was on 10 mg for about two years and felt a lot better at first, but over time decided it was not for me.  Now that I've gone "cold turkey" I'm experiencing the dizziness, nausea, irritiability etc. that everyone describes above.  It's reassuring to know that it should pass over time.  Good luck to everyone.

well i like my paxil
well i like my paxil
I have been on Paxil for about two years now.  40 mg per day.  I take the meds in the morning, ride the train into work and feel a lot calmer than ever before.  

BUT, I tried to go off the drug cold turkey (ignorant fool that I was).  The first day off the drug was fine; the second, third and fourth days I became increasingly irritable and physically weak.  By the end of the fourth day I was in bed with an increasing heavy sensation throughout my body as if everything were turned off.  I felt as if I were melting into the bed.  I could not get up.  My son visited me on the fifth day of my ordeal and thought I was dying.  I could not hold my arm up to him to kiss him.  He rushed out to get my Paxil.  Forced me to take my usual dose.  Then, lectured me for about 15 minutes.  

I am afraid of this drug, but I still need it for now.  I have also gained much weight, about twenty-five pounds.  I do not like what I look like, too.

I was happy to read that some people have had no problem coming off the drug.  Maybe I will be able to go off slowly with the help of my physician this time.  
I was on Paxil for a year and a half and then i got pregnant.  When i threw it up i quit taking it.  The "doctor" acted like i HAD to stay on it forever--what a sorry attitude doctors have about "their" medicines.  They must get paid for putting people on this hellish stuff.  I had dizziness for two weeks, but that was all--probably the hormones of pregnancy helped so it wasn't so bad.  I will never go on psychotropic medicine again.  It is bad ****, man.
I have had the same problem with Zoloft.  Granted, Zoloft has been a wonderful medication for me, but it is time to come off.  After two failed attempts at coming off 50 mg/day, I came across a book called "Your Drug May Be Your Problem: How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Drugs".  It is by Peter Breggin, MD and he makes some really valid points.  He also recommends a "10% rule" when trying to come off of SSRIs.  For example, I normally take 50 mg/day.  Last week, I began the 10% rule--10% of 50mg for 7-10 days.  I got my husband to estimate 45 mg and cut it (he is better than I am with measuring!).  Tonight I will start 40mg for 7 days and so on.  I will always decrease in increments on 5mg because that is 10% of 50.  I know it sounds very tedious, but I think it will be well worth it!  There is more information in the book that I think that would benefit everyone on this type of medication.  Good luck!
I was on Paxil for about 6 years for depression.  It was a fairly new drug at the time.  Worked great for the depression, but if I missed even 1 days dose, got the eye zaps and electrical shock feeling.  Paxil stopped working after about 6 years, so Dr. started me on something else, can't remember what, but at same time, SLOWLY weaned me off the Paxil by dosing down 5 mg at a time every 2 weeks.  It worked being weaned off it that way, but I think being on another anti-depressant helped also.
I was on Paxil for about 6 years for depression and it worked great, but noticed if I missed even 1 day's dose would get the eye zaps and electric shock feeling.  It was a pretty new drug at that time.  

It stopped working for me after about 6 years.  Doctor put me on another anti-depressant (sorry, can't remember which one, may have been Prozac, Wellbutrin, or Effexor)and at the same time SLOWLY weaned me off the Paxil, reducing it by 5 mg. every 2 weeks.  I had no withdrawal symptoms this way. but I think you really need to also be on a similar drug for it to work this way.
i am amazed that the doctor who answered your post was unaware of this.  that scares me ...  when i miss a dose for one day i feel like i'm plugged into and electric socket everytime i move my eyes.

There is a question which I wanted to ask,

for anyone who had been depressed for a long time

do you experience unexplained hair loss, dry skin, and other physical symptoms of illness, which doctors say you are
     perfectly fine?
I've been calling it brain shock! I questioned my Physician about it and he just got a perplexed look and blew it off. What had happened was that I ran out of my Paxil and didn't have any insurance. My girlfriend gave me one of her old bottles of Paxil and said that they were still good. Well they weren't! After about a week of taking them I thought I was going to die. Major hot flashes, heart palpitations, dizzy beyond belief,numbness over various parts of my upper torso, panic, eye and brain zaps. I felt like I was being electrocuted everytime I moved my eyes or head. You can't convince me that it was anything other than withdrawl (withdrawal) from Paxil because once I had my prescription filled I was absolutely fine within 2 days. Occasionally I get a brain zap when it's time to take another pill but other than that I feel great on it. I definitely will taper off when it's time. I'm in no hurry to be feeling like that ever again. Misery loves company so I'm glad to know that i'm not alone!
WOW Im so glad i came here, my whole point of looking in these message boards was hope to find someone else who knew what those eye/head movement things were! the only thing is mine are from taking remeron. the past two days have been really bad , i been scared to the point of panic, just out of the blue i would feel ike im getting shocks through my whole body particularly the head the <brain> i get them from walking , turning my head, and mostly from moving my eyes in any direction or opening or closing them ive been so scared cause i feel ike im just gonna shut down when these happen and they do alot!!! im glad im not alone. now i just need to know how to make them stop!
I know this is probably not the best way to handle this...it might even be dangerous to some people....BUT....drinking REALLY helped me out with the symptoms....I don't drink enough to get drunk or anything...just a little buzzed....Not a real good solution for feeling "normal" at work ;)....but at least you can get rid of the eye-zaps while you are at home :)

Puddin

puddin_***@****
I have gained over 40 lbs since on Paxil 60mg to 30mg daily. I am also on BusPar, Rivtril and Trazadone. I would like to be off all meds to get my weight down (what "worries" me the most). I am trying to wean off Paxil, although I am scared as it worked so well for me. I also want to wean off BusPar  (i am on 40 mg a day) and I will stay on Rivitril 0.5 mg 2X day.

I have been off Paxil before and have experience little or no side effects. But I will keep you posted.

Right now it's from 30mg to 15mg (I am cutting the blue 30mg pill in half and taking the smallest piece)

I am going to my doctor to discuss this further.

Good luck all
Anybody has info on class action lawsuit regarding paxil withdrawl (withdrawal)? Why were we not warned?
I have been hooked on paxil for 5 years and can't get off of it. Every time I try, I get physically sick
with the symptoms you all mention. I consider myself a drug addict, if I don't get my fix on time I get sick. Help!
Wow... I immediately had all of these symptoms after taking paxil for just over a month, and trying to get off of it. A MONTH! I am totally down with finding out more info about the class action lawsuit... I also found out that the producers of this medication (along with all of the doctors who prescribe it) do not truly know how it works! Not even a good idea! The "brain architecture" involved is so incredibly complex that we have about 1% (potentially) mapped out... other than that... it is all speculation.
The other fact remains; it has been years now that this medications has been out... and I am certain with all of these posts (along with all others on the web) that both doctors and pharmaceutical giants know about this issue and do nothing about it.
Well, I have had IT! I want OFF of this ****!!!!
I need a place to talk. This sounds like it might be the place. So here I g. I have been on Paxil Cr for over 6 yrs! I have had not so nice side effects and am on the highest dose any doctor I have talked to has seen. Yet no one will try and get me off this ****! Since the doctors are not listening to me. I have decided to do it myself. I am going to need all the support I can get. From the reading I have done, I am trying to wean off to fast. I went from 75 mg to 37.5 mg. This is my 2nd week. Last week wasn't too bad, but this week. The headaches, nausea, "zaps", not cool! The recommended is to come off it at 12.5 mg every 2 weeks to a month. So I think I will try that instead, meaning I'm gonna put my self back on 25 mg of it tonight. Any suggestion with the headaches would be great. This is HELL!
I've been off paxil for a few days. I quit cold turkey and can't say it's been too bad. I haven't had the zaps yet.  I just feel nauseous, irritable, get headaches, like I have completely no energy and I keep asking myself whether I was better off on paxil. However, the six months I was on paxil seem like such a blur to me now, I wasn't my true self. I was in an apathetic daze, just getting through the days. I hope that this withdrawal thing will pass and that I won't get extreme side effects like some of you. It's saddening. I hope you all get through it. xoxoxo
i have been trying to quit this drug for the past few months,,,,, and i just keep going back on just to make the symptoms go away. I only take 20 mg but without this little pill i feel dizzy, headache, falling over, and lathargic, my dreams are scarey and make no sense at all. I have zero patience and just today wanted to smash some assholes face in because he cut me off driving. Im very afraid of what im turning into because of this pill. I cannot control my temper and hate everyone and everything that annoys me. I wish i had never taken this 6 years ago......When im off my dose by day 5 im ready to jump off a bridge just to make the symptoms go away. Thats the point when i fold and take the drug again to make the crazyness stop. I need help and i need it quickly,,,,, Im a 41 year old drug addict with a smile on my face until i stop taking paxil. I would also like to find the ceo of this company and rip his head off for not providing me with this information prior to taking this **** drug...How can the FDA allow this drug make it to market wasnt there any case studies to support what we all feel? I need to get off this chemical and rid this from my system any ideas on how to do this ?
THANKS
I was on Paxil for about a month (20 mg) and I ran out without being able to get to the Dr soon enough for a refill.  The first few days were fine, but by the fourth day I began to get symptoms that felt like the aura phase of a migraine.  That night I kept crying and really didn't have a reason. Yesterday I went to the Dr. and he gave me refills.  I took a pill around 4pm, but around 8pm I started to have a panic attack and hyperventilate.  I don't know what's wrong.  Of course I have problems in my life, but I really don't feel like that's what I was freaking out about.  Today I couldn't even go to work.  I was so tired and slept  until 1:30 pm! I hate this.  Why can't we just be normal without taking drugs?
PS  My dreams have been disturbing too...weird????
I have been taking paxil for a couple of years now, and next month my husband and I are going to try invitro fertilization to get pregnant.  Of course I want to get off of this drug.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get through this hell I am facing a little easier.  I am so excited about trying to get pregnant, but scared to death about getting of the drug and not being able to take it.  Help

Val
have you been dizzy? lack of energy? feel like a ragdoll just rundown? I can totally feel your pain and i wish i could do or say something to help you through this... this company has created nothing but a mass of drug addicted adults. Almost as bad as Oxitcotin, these companies have to be held accountable for there missleading and coverups. Hang in there and keep posting here i will check throughout the day to see if if can help talk you through this.
scott
anyone intrested in furthering discussion about this feel free to email me at ***@****
kind of like a support group, because everyone i tell this too seems to think its just me and not the masses.
stay strong
h a r l e y 0 1 @ c o m c a s t . n e t
I am praying for you all and please pray for me too. I will be entering Paxil withdrawl (withdrawal) hell soon. Eight years of addiction has lead to weight gain, major fatigue & thousands of dollars in doc bills to find out why. Not one of the many, many doctors I saw ever mentioned Paxil CR as a possible cause. Maybe we trust too much those who are just "practicing" medicine. That's what happens when you consult someone who graduated from a med school funded by the pharmicutical companies.
You do not want to just stop taking paxil! It is very very dangerous!!! I am beginning to wean/tapper off Paxil Cr. Its not fun! But you need to do it very very slowly. I know that is not what you want to hear. I have found a lot of information and support at paxilprogress . org. They actually have nurses to answer questions and there are a number of people who have been/are going through the same heck we are.

Notfeelingwell_2 - were you the one that asked people to call you b/c you were not doing well? If so, I did call you and you were at the Dr. Please feel free to call me or write to me. I have the same user name at paxilprogress. That is a much much better site than this one. Please take a look.
I was on Paxil for about a year and it actually took me six months to get myself weaned completely off the drug I went from 20 mg very slowly down to 5 until I was taking tiny little pieces I was finally taking a little piece only every other day and then a piece only when I needed one. Even after I was off of Paxil completely, I still once in a while felt the electrical zaps. They went on for months.The doctors never ever mentioned anything to me about how difficult it was to quit I didn't have a clue. I think the drug companies must pay them a kick back.Why else would they prescribe it like candy. We have all been taken advantage of.  
I have been a "Prisoner to Paxil" for over 20 years. When I started this drug I was definialty told there were NO SIDE EFFECTS FROM WITHDRAWS. I will say however that after trying many other drugs before Paxil this drug seemed to be the one that worked the best for me at putting my aniexty and panic attacts at bay. Fast forward now 2010, it has been almost impossible to go even 3 days without Paxil. I take 20 mg. a day. Every year I attempt to go off my meds. with the exact same results each time, pure HELL!
It starts off with the dizziness, headaches, sweats, horrifying nightmares, and this is the mild stuff. Then I go into the most horrific panic and aniexty that one could ever imagine. The thoughts of doom are in complete control of every fiber of my being. I see no way out of this nightmarish existence. The fear of losing it is so profound that I actually fear for my life. I am not suicidal but I feel as if I can't possibly survive like this. At this point I MUST take a dose of Paxil and once again I am back to square one. I have never done illegal drugs and never understood why so many people just couldn't stop once they started, now I know why and have a completely different mind set towards addict, because I myself feel as if I too am now an addict or as I call it "A PRISONER TO PAXIL"