Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Affects of stroke and behavior

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Affects of stroke and behavior

Posted by Jeanne on June 03, 1999 at 12:46:01
My husband and I are in our 70's. He had a stroke 5 yrs ago. I cared for him till 8 months ago when I was diagnosed with cancer. Since then he has been acting real vicious to me. I couldn;t care for him at home anymore . We were always a close family but he has driven everyone away. I have talked to his Drs and they really can't discuss too much with me without his permission so I don't know where to turn. He has become sexually obsessed .he has been evicted from 2 group homes already and has 3 chages against him in the 3rd . He lies to his Drs about this but they say they can't do anything about it till he admits it and he won't do that. One of his drs put him on zoloft and he was good for about  6 weeks and then it started again only this time outside the group home. Is this normal behavior for a stroke victim.He was not like this before his stroke. He calls me and accuses me of all sorts of behavior and tells this stuff to his DR.s . I know I am on the verge of a breakdown cause I can't take much more of this and I don't know what to do.... Any suggestions. Is this dementia.. I fogot to tell you the stroke has left him paralized on the left side and confined to a wheel chair

Posted by HFHS.MD-D.E. on June 09, 1999 at 16:54:02
Dear Jeanne;
It appears there has been a marked change in your husband's behavior. This could be due to his stroke or to dementia, or a number of other medical causes. A good psychiatrist can evaluate him and place him on medications which could curb his behavior. I also would advice you to discuss with your family about the possibility of applying for a power-of-attorney or maybe even legal guardianship in the event that your husband needs to make major decisions in which he won't be able to do because of the problems you mentioned.
Information contained within The Forum is intended solely for general educational purposes. The information contained in this service is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. ALWAYS seek the advice of your physician or other health provider for any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Information provided in this forum DOES NOT constitute a doctor-patient relationship between you and any physicians affiliated with Henry Ford Health System. You may call Henry Ford Behavioral Health at (248) 689-7476 for evaluation.
Key words:stroke/change in behavior/dementia