Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Alcohol induced paranoia

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Alcohol induced paranoia

My 34 year old brother has had 3 episodes where he was drinking (one of these times it was not an abundance) and had episodes of paranoia where he did not know anyone and was extremely afraid that people would hurt him.  The last episode he had the police lock him up because he thought that was the only place he was safe from everyone. In all three of these episodes we believe he was drinking some sort of alcoholic beverage with lemon juice.  I was wondering if you have heard of any sort of alergic (allergic) reaction to alcohol that would bring this on or a combination of alcohol and lemon?  My brother has quit drinking all together since the last episode and is seeing a counselor.  He is in no way an alcoholic and there is not a history of mental illness in our family.  Have you ever heard of any case such as this?
Alcohol-induced psychotic disorder are characterized by hallucinations, most common hearing voices, delusions or false beliefs such as paranoia. After the episode, most patients realize the psychotic nature of their symptoms.

It is possible that the alcohol he was taking was laced with another form of substance that may look like lemon juice that can potentiate the psychotic symptoms.