Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Am I clinically depressed?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Am I clinically depressed?

I am 5 months pregnant with my second child.  I had what I consider to be a fairly significant bout with post-partum depression after the birth of my daughter 3 years ago.  I had several visits with a psychiatrist, who gave me samples of Paxil to try.  I really did not want to be on medication, and I seemed to snap out of it at that point.  I also stopped seeing the psychiatrist.  I am a sensitive, probably over emotional person most of the time, but other than being slightly introverted, it has not disabled me.  I have a degree, a management position with an insurance company and friends (a few close friends).
The issue is, I am now starting to feel the more overwhelming depression that I felt after my daughters birth.  This concerns me, as I feel it may just get worse, since it seems to be starting earlier. I sometimes have feelings of needing to get away from my family (for a weekend afternoon) but then I feel terribly guilty for doing so.  I can't ever just normally decide I need time alone, it builds up until I get very angry, and then storm out.  I then end up calling them and telling them to come and be with me.  Most of the time, I just cry.
Could this be brought on by stress or is it a clinical illness?
I have stress, but probably no more than any other person.  I am not at all reluctant to seek help, but I am reluctant to be medicated.  I am 32 years old.  Any insight would be appreciated.
Michelle,

It sounds like you are going through difficult times. Your symptoms of social withdrawal, guilt, irritability, mood swings, and crying spells may be due to Major Depression. Other symptoms of major depression include disturbance of sleep and appetite, diminished interest in previously enjoyable activities, suicidal thoughts, diminished concentration, feelings of hopelessness/helplessness/worthlessness, and fatigue. The exact cause of depression is unknown. It may be due to deficiency of a brain chemical called serotonin or other so-called neurotransmitters",  genetic factors, medical conditions, or stressful events. I urge you to seek evaluation by a psychiatrist, to determine your diagnosis, and treatment plan, with an input from your obstetrician, with regards to the safety of your pregnancy/fetus.