Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Am I clinically depressed?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Am I clinically depressed?

I am 5 months pregnant with my second child.  I had what I consider to be a fairly significant bout with post-partum depression after the birth of my daughter 3 years ago.  I had several visits with a psychiatrist, who gave me samples of Paxil to try.  I really did not want to be on medication, and I seemed to snap out of it at that point.  I also stopped seeing the psychiatrist.  I am a sensitive, probably over emotional person most of the time, but other than being slightly introverted, it has not disabled me.  I have a degree, a management position with an insurance company and friends (a few close friends).
The issue is, I am now starting to feel the more overwhelming depression that I felt after my daughters birth.  This concerns me, as I feel it may just get worse, since it seems to be starting earlier. I sometimes have feelings of needing to get away from my family (for a weekend afternoon) but then I feel terribly guilty for doing so.  I can't ever just normally decide I need time alone, it builds up until I get very angry, and then storm out.  I then end up calling them and telling them to come and be with me.  Most of the time, I just cry.
Could this be brought on by stress or is it a clinical illness?
I have stress, but probably no more than any other person.  I am not at all reluctant to seek help, but I am reluctant to be medicated.  I am 32 years old.  Any insight would be appreciated.