Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Am I depressed or is this normal?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Am I depressed or is this normal?

My life, for the most part, has been normal. I have good parents, lots of friends, and a stable home environment. Lately I have started thinking about a rather tragic event in my life.
    About two years ago, there was a tragic shooting at my school. I saw one of my friends get shot in the head, and many fellow classmates get injured. I waited in a pitch black hallway for an hour, jumping at every sound, and truing to keep my composure while helping those stuck with me from breaking down. Even when a police officer knocked on the door, I was hesitant at opening the door. Little information was relayed to us of who was injured. It wasn't till two days later that I found out the second death was my very best friend.
   At my friends funeral, all I could think about was comforting those around me. I felt that those who were the ones that should be crying were family and close friends. And now, two years later, I am hesitant to talk to anyone. My main reason for my silence, is that I feel that with all of the talk of moving on and healing, I don't want it to appear like I am milking it.
    Some of the reasons that I am unsure or not that I have depression is that I have not given up and hobbies, I have no trouble sleeping, and I do not have an eating problem. I do get saddened whenever the slightest thought or memory of the incident creeps into my mind. When I am watching an episode of ER or Law & Order, and the plot involves a shooting, my mind drifts to memories of the shooting. When I heard about he shooting in Michigan and Pennsylvania, my mind was flooded with thoughts of two years ago. When this happens; I become sad, not aware of my surrounding, and I come close to sobbing.
    My question would be: Am I depressed, and should I seek help? Or am I just experiencing typical reactions to a tragic event?
It is unfortunate that you had to go through the traumatic experience that you had. Your symptoms of sadness and re-experiencing two years after the incident are not "typical reactions", and may be due to depression or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which are topics that have been extensively discussed in this forum. You may search through our forum archives for more information on these subjects. I also urge you to seek evaluation by a mental health professional. Both depression and PTSD are treatable by a combination of medications and psychotherapy.
Do you know what PTSD is? Its Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  You may want to research it on the net or in the library.
James, what you are going through sounds  'normal' to me, but I urge you to seek some help in dealing with your thoughts. Post traumatic stress can cause lots of serious problems. Did you receive any counselling after the shooting ?  Ideally, you and your friends should have received a critical incident debrief after the incident. good luck for the future and please go and get some help.
I'm in love with this girl and my parents won't let me c her alot only Tuesday n someother day. I've tried suicide. I'm only 13 but I feel like I'm 15+ I hate my parents WHOLE family hates me. I hate me i don't wonna tell my family bcuz they will do to many things to help. I get kinda bad grades and parents ground me. Can any1 help me u cud txt me 1 859 749 6909 I could really use it n if I tell my gf shell get rly rly scared and freak out.