Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Anger and Depression

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Anger and Depression

My daughters and myself have dealt with or are dealing with depression, and I have noticed that we all have had to deal with outbursts of anger too. I connect the depression with child bearing, which I am passed, but my daughters are in the midst of. In the past,I have made use of medicine, therapy, and many other tools to overcome depression and anger and am now happy and enjoying life! However, I remember the anger leaving me with feelings of guilt and more depression. Now my daughters are dealing with the same problems and while I have a lot of experience to help them, I would like more tools to help address this problem. I'm not afraid of professional help, but I also think there is much we can do as laymen to prevent these diseases from escalating just from the knowledge we can gain.   I can find articles on anger or depression or postpartum depression, but found nothing that addresses anger as an outgrowth of depression. Is there research, or are there articles that connect anger and depression?  Please help.
There is a great deal written about the relationship between anger and depression in the professional literature and books written for therapist training and psychoanalysis.  I am sure that there are popular books about this that can be found in the bookstore. By next week, psychologytoday.com will be launched and their archives go back ten years and are searchable.

In general, anger is about frustrated needs and desires; while depression is giving up, and feeling deprived. Your daughters can also get some specific personal help from going to www. masteringstress.com.
1 Comment
I have a similar problem. I know I have a lot of anger repressed inside of myself because of all the agressions or the indiference I suffered my whole life, but I always swallowed my anger, never answered back. Actually when I feel a lot of angst I express it sometime as anger, and this has only brought me trouble dealing with other people, because when more help I need, more rejection from others I receive. Acting this way
I have created very harmfull (emocionally harmfull) relations with my mother, and with the few (almost none) people I'm nearer to. This change drastically when I am with persons that aren't close to me (my mother, like everyone, isn't close to me, but
at least we live in the same house and I know she cares about me), with those people I swallow all my angst and anger, I only show my shyness (social phobia, actually). How can I or anybody in a similar case can get rid from all this anger and angst?...Only through therapy?, only through medications?. I wouldn't like to receive a yes for an anwer.

Sorry for my awfull english.