Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Anxiety and Hyperthyroid
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Anxiety and Hyperthyroid

Ive read in many places that anxiety and hyperthyroid are linked. im wondering if anyone can help me understand that if a hyperthyroid gland can cause anxiety OR the anxiety symptoms are mistaken for the hyperthyroid. i currently am being treated for hyperthyroid & graves disease which has been leveled thru the use of medication but i am convinced i have generalized anxiety. im planning on seeing a doctor about this but just would like to see how the two were linked. thanks for any answers
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
The link is through body in the following way. The hyperthyroid speeds up your whole body metabolism, and gives you the symtpom of anxiety. It is not the anxiety that is caused by the mind, which comes from having too many fears and unsolved problems in your mind that are not being addressed promply and properly enough. You may have  both, and that will have to be sorted out as you are treated for the hyperthyroidism.
2 Comments
Blank
I also was diagnosed with Grave's disease and suffered from a significant amount of anxiety.  I eventually had to have my thyroid gland ablated and placed on synthetic thyroid medicine for the rest of my life.  As Dr. Gould stated, I feel that it is more of a physiological anxiety, and does resolve, but only when your thyroid levels are in the proper range.  You might want to see if your levels are too high.  Remember you need to find YOUR proper thyroid level and find a doctor that will help you achieve that.  Many only go by the textbook levels.  Hope this helps, thyroid problems are tough because you SEEM so healthy and normal on the outside.  At least that's comment I got alot.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979