Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
BP Medications and Depression
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

BP Medications and Depression

I am a 42 year old female ID Diabetic (12 years). I have high blood pressure and take these daily meds: Plendil (5mg), Atenlol (200mg) & Lotensin (40mg).  I believed I have always had a low grade depression.  I was sexualized by a brother when I was ages 9-11. This brother died from cronic (chronic) brain tumors when I was 17.  I have had a "normal" life: engineering degree, work, married, had 2 children.  I became IDDM when I was 29.  I began binge eating which was not healthy. I sought counseling and worked on family issues.  Three years later I divorced.  I continued heavy counseling for a total of 5 years.  Toward the end of these years, 6 years ago, my endocrinologist perscribed nortriptyline (now dose is 150 mg).  It helped tremendously and I stopped counseling.  Now I am having trouble.  I have a hard time doing everything I need to do around the house and at work.  I get angry and almost out of control with my kids.  I wouldn't commit suicide because of my children who I love dearly, but I wouldn't mind developing a complication and dying.  I am just tired of trying.  I do things for and with my kids because they are important to me. My eating is unhealthy and my HBP is still not under control.  Is this physical or emotional or both? Could my BP medication contributing to the depression?  Are there any others that would not have this side affect?  Should I get back into therapy?  Do I need to work with my endocrinologist on the meds or should I also add a psychiatrist?
Thanks so much!
Barb,

The exact cause of depression is unknown. It may be due to  deficiency of a brain chemical called serotonin or other so-called "neurotransmitters", genetic factors, medical conditions, or other stressful events. Your post suggests a combination of physical and emotional causes of your depression. Product information states that Plendil and Atenolol may cause depression. Depression is treatable by a combination of medications and psychotherapy. I urge you to seek medication evaluation with a psychiatrist, and to discuss your concerns about antihypertensive medications further with your treating physician/endocrinologist.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703