Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Benadryl for anxiety/panic?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Benadryl for anxiety/panic?

I have mitral valve prolapse syndrome. I get occasional anxiety/panic attacks. I don't need meds. all the time only for when I get these attacks. I have heard from someone that their Cardiologist recommended taking Benadryl when they feel an anxiety attack coming on. Can Benadryl be taken for anxiety/panic attacks? If so, does it have to be prescription or can it be over the counter, and what type of Benadryl (the allergy kind?)Also, what would be the side effects of Benadryl? I also take hyacosycamine for IBS. Thanks for any information.
N.B.,

Benadryl, is a sedating antihistamine, that is not indicated for the treatment of panic attacks or anxiety in general.  It is sometimes used as a sleep aid and occasionally used to treat side effects associated with antipsychotic agents.  It sounds like you have an anxiety disoder secondary to a medical condition and treatment of that condition is the most important factor.  A benzodiazepine like Xanax may be more appropriate.  It may be very helpful for you to have a formal psychiatric evaluation to clarify this situation further.  Please discuss this in more deatail with your personal physician.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM
I buy the childrens chewable, and just take one, it takes the edge off.  Drs can prescribe a stronger form, but you need a perscription.  My dad also takes it after working out if he feels his heart race.
Ask for some Xanax, it is an instant relief to panic attacks. But can be addictive if you have an addictive personality.
I take it maybe once a week and it is wonderful to calm me. I only take a small amount .05 mg, it works and doesn't make me sleepy.