Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Bipolar and Medications

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Bipolar and Medications

I have bipolar II disorder and recently relapsed after being off meds for about a month (with doctor permission). I have been prescribed tegretol and stelazine to help stop the hypomanic and the paranoia but it makes me so tired I can barely stay awake at work or when driving. Most antipsychotics make me so tired and groggy it is hard to function yet I know the paraonia and hypomanics aren't good either. What are the chances the hypomanic will go away on its own without meds?? Are there any antipyschotics that don't make you so tired? Thanks for your help.
Dear Debi,

Bipolar II disorder are adequately managed by medications and psychotherapy together. However, the side effects from the medications you are taking is preventing you from being compliant. With the newer medications in the market with better side effect profile, you may have less disconcerting side
effects.

Re-consult your psychiatrist regarding newer mood stabilizers and atypical antipsychotics.

sincerely,

HFHS MD - RG
My friend takes lithium and paxil and is one of the most beautiful people inside and out.  She doesn't have to suffer anymore.  They also put her on those antipsychotics for a while and it made her very drugged up it seemed.  The lithium and paxil makes her act and feel normal.  Life is life now for her.  Best of Luck.Hypomanic usually doesn't go away without any meds.  U should suggest a blood level from your doctors, get a new doctor.  You shouldn't of gone off the medications.  Do diabetics go off of their insulin?
Hang in and on.  God Bless
an additional question to my original question: what are the stats on someone with bipolar II disorder developing bipolar I disorder? when I went back on meds a few weeks ago I did get a new doctor and she ordered blood tests, I was looking at the lab slip and it says my diagnosis is bipolar I, most recent episode mixed (I will talk with her) but knowing the symptoms of bipolar I disorder I'm not terribly surprised it was changed. Any info you could give would be appreciated.