Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Bipolar mood disorder v.s. meth-induced mood disorder??
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bipolar mood disorder v.s. meth-induced mood disorder??

If bipolar mood disorder can lead to drug use, and, if methamphetamine use can lead to a "mood disorder", how can you tell which one is causing the other, or which one was the original problem??  

Jake is 21 and he first started using meth 2-1/2 years ago. He used regularly for about 6 months, then went through rehab and counseling for a few months. Since rehab, (for the past 1-1/2 years) we believe he has used meth off and on -- we don't know how much, but nothing like in the beginning before rehab. We are very worried, from hearing how addictive meth is, though, that he will relapse back to meth addiction and dig himself a hole again. There are so many bad influences around. Most of the people his age around here are using drugs, so not many other people to hang around with. Jake claims he has not used meth for 6 months, but we don't know whether to believe him or not.  He has been lying quite a bit about various things, who he's with, where he is, etc.

Last week, after approx 2-3 months of being around positive people (girlfriend, brother, cousin) and we're pretty sure keeping fairly clean, he saw a family practioner (with special interest in ADD) because we thought Jake showed many, many signs of adult ADD (personality that is fun-loving, "living on the edge", impulsive actions, impulsive spending of money, everything done to the extreme/excess, attention/concentration issues, always has to be fidgeting, sensitive, emotional, accident prone, nothing ever goes smoothly, addictive personality, relationship difficulties, etc).  

The doctor asked many questions, and gave him 2 questionaires, one for ADD and the other for bipolar. The ADD questionaire showed him answering approx. 2/3 yes and 1/3 no as to having ADD. The bipolar questionaire showed him answering 13 out of 13 yes for bipolar. The doctor said yes, it appeared he more than likely has ADD, but with the past drug issue and the questionaire results, he suspected Jake also could have rapid cycling biopolar. He is having Jake try Risperdal.

I have read tons about ADD, bipolar, and about efects of methamphetamine use.  Jake sounds extremely like both ADD and bipolar. But, now I am so confused. I read that using meth can cause a "mood disorder". And, I have read that bipolar mood disorder can lead to drug use.  How do we know which was his original problem?  And, will the Risperal help Jake if the meth use/brain cell damage is what caused this mood disorder they think he has? Or will the medication only help if bipolar is the original problem???    

We're thinking... this past year and a half, was he actually on meth these times when we suspected it due to his behavior?  Or, were we wrong and he actually was in a manic state??  The descriptions of behaviors in both of these situations both make sense.

Again, are chances good that the Risperdal will help him?  We don't know if meth caused the mood disorder, or if the mood disorder is causing him to want to do the meth.