Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Bipolar type 2?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Bipolar type 2?

is there such a thing as 2 classifications of bipolar? and if so what are they?
Dear Amal
Biploar disorder  (Manic - Depressive illness) is classified into Biploar I disorder and Bipolar II disorder. Bipolar I disorder is diagnosed based on the presence of atleast one manic episode with or without the presence of major depressive episode. Bipolar II disorder is diagnosed by the presence of atleast one Hypomanic episode and one or more major depressive episodes. Manic episode differs from hypomanic episode by the presence of more sever symptoms for longer duration of time. In Biploar I disorder, a person can have significant impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning where as in Bipolar II disorder, it is unlikely.
From what I understand, and I am NOT a physician, Bipolar type I is characterized by alternate states of mania and depression, and Bipolar type II is characterized by a milder form of mania with alternating depression, and may also include the rapid-cycling form (rapid cyclers experience mood changes daily to weekly).
I was just diagnosed with BPD and was given meds told to get blood checked in a couple of weeks and thats it. What happens now?! I have had major depression for over 14 years and am now 27 and have just had a baby 16 months ago. I am confused, lost and feeling pretty out of it. Is this for forever? Will it get worse? Will it stay just basically depressive and mild mania or what? I can't seem to get any help or info or anything. I feel like I just got diagnosied with an illness that I have no idea what to do about.
What will medication do for the patient that is diagnosed Bipolar II? Please help.
i was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 disorder and i haven't been on meds. My son is 21 months old and my boyfriend of 7 years is starting to notice that i have almost psychotic moments, where i am crying and blaming everything on everyone. I even sometimes wish that we didn't have a son, although i know i love him so much and wouldn't trade the world for him or my boyfriend. I have even threatened to leave him becaue he didn't take out the garbage. I don't have medical insurance so meds are kinda outta the question, but i don't know what to do. I am ruining our relationship with my manic episodes, which are way more frequent then the depressive ones, but i am so moody EVERYDAY, anything can snap me out of good mood. I need help too, i feel lost and i haven't told anyone because people think of people diagnosed with bipolar can also murder their loved ones (damn T.V.!!). What should i do??
St. John's Wort? i dunno :-(
oops, hit send too early. Doc's are not too expensive sometimes. Maybe you can find one on a sliding scale especially since you just had a baby? How did you pay for the prenatal care? Maybe that doc can help you? One visit could get you a script and generic these days 9for older meds) sometimes can be under $30. Also be careful if you're nursing. Sometimes the doc visit and script can cost less than one monthly insurance premium. Lots of programs for people with small children esp. new parents. Someone has to take care of the baby.