Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Bruising on antidepressants

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Bruising on antidepressants

Hi Dr,

Im on Celexa and remeron the mild doses(1 tab each day) for depression.  Im brusing alot now, I have always been a bruiser but seems that im really brusing easily now.  I've got about 5 bruises on one leg, it was not bumped very hard either.  How common is this and will it go away?  It is the meds?

Thank you!
Dear Gigi

(Looks same as the previous question - but different sender - Answer is same)

There is a possibility that the medications you are taking can be worsening your bruising by lowering platelet count. But this is relatively uncommon. I would recommend that you consult your family physician to have a complete evaluation and rule any other medical conditions. Good luck

Sincerely
HFHS-M.D.
1 Comment
Im on efexor xr and have also noticed i am bruising more frequently. i had around 10 bruises on my arms and legs caused from small knocks and other unknown reasons. Im talking large deep purple and black bruises. I have also always been a bruiser. anyone else found this sort of thing happening to them??
I am on Effexor also, and someone can look at me and I'll bruise!  It looks like my husband beats me, and quite frankly it's embarrassing for him and myself.  I'm tired of looking like someone beat the **** out of me.  I've consulted my M.D., and he showed no concern at all.  I know this is not right!!!  I'll be seeing a new Pharmacologist soon and will share my findings after talking to him/her.