Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Buspar Withdrawal

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Buspar Withdrawal

I have been on Buspar for about two years. The dosage began at 30mg per day and I have reduced it over the last six months to about 7 mg per day. My depression and anxiety have been undercontrol and I desire to discontinue its use. One of the reasons I want to stop taking it is that I have very bad dreams when I do sleep with is not much. I have tried tapering off as you suggest, but after about third week of no pills at all I get very, very lethargic. I am having some very wierd effects in trying to get off from this drug. I was told it was not addictive but I have come to believe otherwise. What would you suggest. I have tried the every other day and third day ect. I thought I was OK and then I started getting dizzy every day for one week. When I took just 15mg my dizzyness went away but I have awful dreams that night and felt very scared even into the next day. In  other words I was out of reality. Is this common. I will not take this drug any longer and do not want to take one to replace it. Any comments.
You have been told correctly, the drug is not physiologically addictive, but after taking it for two years it becomes part of your psychological self.  It sounds to me as if you are having a separation reaction from a former part of yourself( the medication as internal cure and protector).  IF that is the case you are right to stop, but you will have to go through the psychological withdrawal and find a new way to take care of yourself when you get lethargic, or dizzy.  A good friend or a good counselor might help you through this transition.