Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Can Leg Pains be a symptom of stress or anxiety?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can Leg Pains be a symptom of stress or anxiety?

I am a 43-year-old male. For the last several years I was under a lot of stress from work. My symptoms were feeling hot, perspiring, unable to concentrate, facial burning and flushing, weight loss, feeling tired, pains in chest, etc. This got to such a stage that about a year ago I left my former (well paid) job and started a new business with several colleagues. Most of the stress symptoms subsided. However, throughout this time I have suffered from facial flushing and burning (made worse at times of stress) and borderline high blood pressure. I have had numerous tests performed (5HIAA, VMA, Thyroid, liver, kidney, ECGs, Exercise tests, abdominal echo sound, leg Doppler, etc) - all coming back as normal. I have also undertaken Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to try to alleviate my feelings of concern over my health.
For the last several months I have had pains in my legs. These pains are worse when sitting, to some extent helped by exercise. The pains start in the outer side of my calf muscle, radiate to the back of my ankle. The pain gets worse throughout the day with both my lower and upper legs with feelings of burning and tightness. This burning spreads to my abdomen and can also affect the back of my neck and shoulders and upper arms. These pains go away at night, to restart mid-morning the next day. I work at a computer and have tried a number of correct posture techniques and chairs, etc. Physical examinations have revealed no trapped nerves or muscle problems.
My doctor's current view is that these pains too are related to stress and continuing concerns over my health. Are such pains common, and can they be associated with stress or anxiety? I seem to be in a cycle of gaining improvements in my anxiety, then getting a new 'physical' symptom which then starts my concerns and anxiety off again.