Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Can anxiety cause long-term symptoms?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Can anxiety cause long-term symptoms?

The past couple of months I've had about three panic attacks. The first one caused me to go to the emergency room. The last attack, which occured about 2 weeks ago, has left lingering symptoms that just won't go away.
I've been experiencing dizziness, headaches, my ear drums are very sensitive, and I'm always short of breath. Sometimes, my heart rate also increases. I saw a physician who checked my heart with an EKG and performed exhaustive blood tests, neither revealing any problems, other than my heart rate being slightly fast even when I'm relaxed.
I am 22 years old and physically fit. These symptoms are making everyday life difficult. Is there anything my doctor could have missed and can panic attacks lead to such acute everyday symptoms?
Dear Mike,

It must be difficult for you to cope with these attacks.
A panic attack is a brief period of intense fear or discomfort that comes on suddenly and usually it is accompanied by symptoms such as palpitations, sweating, trembling, shortness of breath, abdominal distress, dizziness, fear of losing control or going crazy or fear of dying.
Panic attacks may occur in many different situations and for different reasons. It is important to note that these symptoms
can be confused with medical illness so physical problems should be ruled out. When people have recurrent panic attacks with
anticipatory anxiety and phobic avoidance this may represent panic disorder.
I am uncertain of the individual long term effects, but there is a possibility of symptoms worsening.
It is important to continue follow up with your physician inorder to make certain medical illness has not developed. I also recommend a thorough evaluation by a psychiatrist. Treatment is available in the form of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy to reduce the intensity of the symptoms.

Best Wishes,

HFHS M.D.-SW

Just hang in there and it will get better, without belief.  I am only 19, just turned 20 and went through the same.  Mine landed me in the ER room twice.  I was so afraid there was something else wrong with me.  Now my life is under control, and it has been 3 months since I have had an extremely bad attack.  However, I still do have some, but I learned how to deal with them.  Don't worry about the dizziness, headaches, shortness of breath, I too had that.  I went through a complete physical, and was shown there was nothing wrong with me.  Also dont feel alone with this, I was amazed at how many people actually had this problem besides myself.  It is very common, and can easily be cured.  If you would like to talk my email is ***@****.  I found it was easier to get through it when you talked to somebody who also went through it.
Just hang in there, it will get better, I promise !!