Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Can masturbation cause depression and anxiety?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can masturbation cause depression and anxiety?

My problems seemed to start when i begun to masturbate at 13 .Can masturbation affect the brain chemicals wich are related to depresion and anxiety?During the climax i know the brain releases some chemicals.Is it any connection between them?I usually get very depressed after masturbation
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
There is not any brain disturbance that comes from masturbation...you may feel guilty about what you are doing because you have not completely accepted and owned your physical body, but masturbation is definetly not a cause of depression.
4 Comments
Blank
I would be looking at why you masturbate and what it represents to you.  What does it mean to you?  I think it has more an emotional versus physical link.
Blank
Perhaps lack of acceptance is due to your abuse history?
Perhaps this has been my problem too.  I'm not talking about masturbating but just generally.  I think there have been certain events that have made me more aware of my physical self.  Being catheterized in hospital.  That definitely made me more aware of my own sexuality.  Wearing the odd skirt vs being a tomboy all the time.
Being physically sick has challenged me too forcing me to take better care of myself and to respect my body.  It has limits to the amount of abuse it can take too.
Acceptance and ownership of ones body opens up so many more questions.  Many of which our body is defending against in the first place.  I was told I use my body as a defense.  Meaning I don't like people touching me or in my physical space.
Interesting!
Do children reject their bodies because of what others do to it?
Blank
It is not us who is bad but our body??
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now