Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Can vicodin cause permanent damage to a teens developing brain?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

im a 16 yr old male and last year (when i was 15) i was taking 2 vicodin a day (6 hours apart never at one time) for 3 months (7.5/750 mg) but then i stopped (that was 10 months ago) and i am now worried i damaged my mental/emotional growth as a teen. does it sound like i was abusing the vicodin? do you think i damaged my mental/emotional growth from the vicodin?? please reassure me because im still in puberty and i dont want this effecting my social skills or something.
Hello.

There are no conclusive studies about long term effects of Vicodin on cognition, at the dose you were taking. However, Vicodin does have tendency to induce depression. And depression is associated with a decline in cognitive functions. You may have to look at the problem from this aspect. There is no evidence of a permanent cognitive decline due to this drug.

You can have a look at this link to decide if it was an abuse.

http://www.sis.indiana.edu/DSM-IV-Criteria.aspx

Hope this helps. Take care.
ok, thanks. one more question, if it does cause depression, is it temporary?
The depressant effect is seen while you are still taking Vicodin, and for a few days to weeks after you stop using it.
Ok, thanks a lot doctor.