Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Celexa - How unusual is my fast response to Celexa from the first dose?...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Celexa - How unusual is my fast response to Celexa from the first dose?

I just started treatment with Celexa to overcome dysthymia.
Celxa seems to start working immediatly after the first "begginer" dose at 10mg! First I noticed side effects such as yawning, teeth clenching, and when I moved my
computer's mouse my hand would make the mouse shortly overshoot what I was attempting to click. Then the music on the stereo started sounding better. However, I did have some physical lethargy for the first 6 hours of dosing. Finally, my "body"
catched up to my "mind" andI was able to take a walk about town.
I was smiling and even had the nerve to approach a woman I was
romantically interested in and engage her in a pleasant conversation. Something I wouldn't have had the where-with-all or nerve to do just 48 hours prior. I later met friends and
found I was more empathatic with them rather then brooding and being preoccupied with my own life . I found it very much easier to do such things as laugh. I was smiling a lot. I know this is not a "placebo" since I was anticipating  to hunker down for 6 weeks of hell   before I noticed anything. I know it's not supposed to work so soon and it was half a tablet. Should I be concerned that this might be a mild "mania" side effect or are there reports of other patients responding so dramatically. I'm supposed to up my dosage in 2 days to 20mg but I'm thinking I should stay on 10 till I see my doc early next week. Comments?
Dear ccRyder

People respond to antidepressants differently

I had a similar response with the first dose of Celexa. I noticed being more active than usual and feeling better.

Then my sleep was disturbed and after several days began having urinary retention problems.

This computer just went bersert and listed three postings while I was in the middle of typing. Wierd!!!!

Anyway, I finally had to quit the Celexa because of the side effects. I have not noticed any withdrawal so far after cold turkey off 20 mg expect a mild light headedness on the first day and depressed mood for no reason at all.

I am now trying Ultram for mood elevation and pain killing since I
I had a similar reaction when i took celexa for the first time.I took 20 mg. and it made me feel sedated.I called my doctor and cut back to 10 mg twice a day, which has worked fine until 2 weeks ago.I had a similar experience with music sounding incredibly good and also things visually seemed to look better than they ever have.When I told my doctor these things he increased my dosage to 30 mg per day and the sound and vision "things" vanished. I have been on celexa for 2 months and I have had only sexual side effects(which also vanished after 1 month).Celexa has worked amazingly well for me, and I thank God that I found help.I take celexa for depression,ocd, and anxiety.Celexa took care of everything!I hope you have the same luck I did with celexa.
I too noticed an almost immediate improvement with Celexa.  I started on 10mg the first of March and within one week felt amazingly better.  I was concerned that it was a mild "mania" also as bipolar disorder runs in my family.  
I upped my dose to 20mg around the end of April and since then I have been going downhill. I am feeling that same depression I had before.  I am wondering if increasing dose will help, or if I am expecting too much since I had such a good experience at first.
I had the same "happy" reaction 5 days after starting selexa, the effects lasted for about 3 days then I upped my dose to 20mg then
went from 30mg to 40 mg. The days I was on 20mg were not very good, then I went to 30 then 40 mg with in a couple of days. the 40mg dose was the worst, I could not stop shaking, yawning, and I would be angry for no reason. My doctor told me to cut back to 30mg 3 days ago and it has been uphill from then. It is too soon to tell if selexa will work for me.
FYI- Selexa has been used in Europe for about as long as Prozac has been used in America. There are many studies on the effects of selexa done in Europe.
I responded to 20 mg of Celexa within 24 hours.  This is the first SSRI or other anti-depressant I have ever taken.  However, my pupils became very dilated and I was somewhat jittery so my psychiatrist reduced the dose to 10mg which has worked well for me for the past 5 months.
ITRIED CELEXA LAST NOV. FOR DEPRESSION.I FEEL THAT IT WAS A LIFE SAVER THEN...IM CONCERNED ABOUT THE EFFECTS ON REUPTAKES OF SERITONIN...WILL OUR BRAINS EVER FUNCTION PROPERLY AFTER ALTERING THE BRAINS NORMAL DISPENSING OF SERITONIN LEVELS.IM TOLD COCAINE AND OTHER DRUGS ACT IN THE SAME MANNER.....HOPE WE HAVENT BOUGHT A LIFETIME OF DEPRESSION FOR A SHORT TIME OF PEACE.
I am also concerned on the Long term effects of anti-deppressants. I was taking Seroxat for almost two years and have been of it now for almost a year.  I have found that in that time I have suffered bouts of depression, although so far managed without taking the Celexa prescribed. I can not help but wonder whether these feelings of depression have been drug induced.