Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Celexa or PTSD
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Celexa or PTSD

I have been in therapy with a psycologist and a psyciatrist(for meds) for 2 years. In the past month I have been having flashbacks of sexual abuse by my teenage neighbor when I was around 6 years old. I have also switched meds and started Celexa about 3 weeks before this. I am on 40mg. Since these flashbacks I have been wanting to hurt myself by burning. Thoughts of burning myself with a iron, match, and did do it at work by hot water. Fingers were swollen for 4 days. I think this is the Celexa causing the self mutilation. My counselor nor psychiatrist think so. Do you think this could be the meds or are they on the right track thinking this is from the sexual abuse?
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
I would agree with them...this is a familiar response to sexual abuse...a sign to pursue psychodynamically. It happens to many people who are not on Celexa.
4 Comments
Blank
Also, Have a sence of no feelings. I either have no sence of feelings or I am completly overwhelmed by feeling I can't even discribe.
Blank
Maybe a combination of both?  Have you ever had the desire to burn or harm yourself before?  Do you think maybe the Celexa might be lowering your threshold to act on these desires?  I think that the "lack of feeling" that you describe is a common thing among people who take antidepressants, so that might be the Celexa.
Blank
I didn't start getting the urge to burn myself until I had the flashbacks.Just happened to be on the Celexa at the time. But I have had thoughts before about driving off the highway, pulling out in front of another vehicle, and throwing a infant, burning a child with a candle. Not that I would ever do them but they were there while I was on other antidepressents. I agree the no feeling could be the Celexa.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979