Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Child

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Child

I have this child that is 15 soon to be 16.  I just found out the other day she took a lighter and burned herself on the wrist.  When I ask her why she did this she said she just wanted to see how much pain it would cause and how much she could endure.  As far as I know it is her first time of doing something so stupid.  I really have know idea why she would even want to.  Our home life is not bad at all.  No abuse what so ever of any kind.  The only thing I know bothers my child alot is she is over weight and the thought of boys not likeing her does get to her alot.  Lately she has been trying to lose weight.  But she is doing it by not eating much of anything.  I did tell her she has to at least drink slim fast so her body can get the vitimins her body needs to work right.  She does eat a little.  What do you think?  I really can't figure out why her thinking has gotten so messed up.  I always thought I was a good mom but maybe not.  Thank You
I can understand your parental concern about your daughter's self-injurious behavior, which may be a sign of depression, drug abuse, or personality problems (such as borderline personality disorder). I recommend that you arrange an evaluation by a mental health professional, with experience in child/adolescent psychiatry. Psychotherapy may be helpful in improving her self esteem, and coping with being overweight.
I have always been overweight, so I know how your daughter feels about boys and things.   But, I never would have tried to see how much pain I can endure.  I think that is beyond the norm, but is probably related to her low self-esteem.  I would take her to a psychologist.   And don't encourage her to take Slim-fast.  That stuff is ****.    Teach her how to make smoothies and then buy some multi-vitamins.
Take her immediately to your physician! He/she will refer you to appropriate treatment. Not eating is one thing but hurting herself is another. She is suffering silently. Early treatment is the best long term solution. The teenage years can be hard. Help her now to prevent further problems!