Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Chronic Dizziness

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Chronic Dizziness

I am a 33y.o. male who has suffered from vertigo for several years (when I tilt my head up). Over the past several months, I have also experienced chronic lightheaded-ness and occasional periods of very increased dizziness (feel like feinting). I have had an MRI, and it was negative, and am awaiting an appointment with a neuro. I am finally going all out to try and fix this problem (the vertigo). Right now, I have reached a point where I feel near feinting numerous times a day, yet have not done so. When I do not feel like that, I still feel "fuzzy" and tired. I also get the shortness of breath symtoms (symptoms). I certainly recognize that if not all anxiety, there is certainly a component of it present. I spend most of my day thinking about this problem, but I spend mkost of my day FEELING this problem. Chicken and egg, you know. Or is anxity the chicken AND the egg sometimes? Almost everything else in my life is going great. Better than ever. so, my question: Can anxiety related problems be so extreme that they are constantly with you to the degree that it is difficult to function? I understand worry, but I actually FEEL the feinting coming on! Its the physical symptoms that concern me. If so, please discuss short and long term treatments.
Yes, anxiety can cause what you describe, even when things are going well.  The chicken and egg problem is more like an endless circle that keeps escalating because thinking about the symptom actually creates the symptom by heightened self consciousness. In the short term you might ask your doctor for a trial of xanax to see if you can interrupt this cycle.  If not, you should explore deeper with a good therapist.
Well there's a lot of things that could be wrong. You said you've had an MRI (probably to check for sinusitis and sinuses which probably came out no problems like you said.) Now you know it's not cancer either which is another good thing. Have you've had it where you've done something like played sports to get your mind off of things and you've felt better? if so it may just be full psychological and all in your head because I've had the same problems and where I feel like fainting (could be anxiety problems) and feel like the rooms spinning. Feels like my legs are really light and feels like you're going to collapse, ect. Also if you're on a computer a lot it can screw with your eyesight.
I do spend a lot of time on the computer at work, and I do feel eye strain after a long day. I know the vertigo problem is not just anxiety, for a lot of reasons I won't detail here, my primary care doc agrees. It only happens when I lie flat on my back or tilt my head back, then it is extreme. The last 6 months is the first time in a long time I have not gotten any exercise. I have been trying to run a bit, and it does not make me feel worse, which is a pretty good sign I think, but has not helped any yet (after only 3 times). Its the damn about to feint feelings that are the problem everyday. I tried Xanax twice and it didn't help much, so forget that stuff! Most of the major head problems, tumors, etc., have been ruled out by the MRI, which showed no problems at all. That is a relief. Thanks for the comments.