Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Compulsive Liar?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Compulsive Liar?

Im pretty sure im a compulsive liar. I lie mostly out of habit, and i realise i do it after and think why the hell did i do that? I lie about everything, nothing i say really is truthful. This is just ruining my life. I'm at the point in my life where im in a type of purgatory. The lies havnt ruined any of my relationships yet but im sure it's a ticking bomb. Im waiting for people to hate me when they realise i've been lying to them about everything. It's stupid things i lie about, they dont even matter like i say and explain dreams i've never had and i just make up situations that never happen.

I just want to know how you would cure this? is there anything i can take that can stop me in my tracks?
and whats the most likely causes of it?

:(
There is no simple answer as to why you do this except the general proposition of tempoarily bolstering an uncertain self esteem by making up stories that make people more interested in you.  But that said, the only thing you can do for yourself is begin to talk to a therapist and sort this out...there are no pills for this..
thankyou, dr.
If I may add sometimes these things come from a mental illness but they don't always need treatment. For example, if it came from obsessive compulsive disorder, behavioral psychology might work. And sometimes psychiatric treatment can help. It depends on what mental illlness it is, assuming so and where its coming from. If its a habit chances are you wouldn't be posting here but if its taking over your life it may be a compulsion which is more than that. But it could be part of any number of things. Perhaps talk to a therapist and have them make a referal to a psychiatrist. Then see from there. I don't want to speculate because I don't know the rest of the story and you probably don't feel comfortable sharing but you might want to explain in a comprehensive way to a therapist what the rest of your life is like and they can tell you if a psychiatric consult is needed.
Hi there. Thanks for the post. I think it is out of habit, somtimes i dont even know i do it, but i also do it to get my own way or to get myself outta ****. I cant handle being a spiral of lies anymore really, thats why i need help.

What mental illness do you think it could be?
I have other psychological symptoms too;

Paranoia
Self Harm (strangley, not because im sad, i dont know why?)
Piromania
Extremely low self-esteem.
Bouts of anger
Mood Swings

Those are the things that step out the most, but there is probably more.

Thanks xx
Well I am not a psychiatrist but in having knowledge of these issues I would say it sounds like you have borderline personality disorder. I would strongly reccommend you see a psychiatrist. The two most commonly used medications for bpd are Lamictal which I've taken as a mood stabilizer and Abilify which is an antipsychotic. I am on
an antipsychotic glycine which is highly effective but still in Phase II FDA study and am coping with severe tardive dyskinesia from the long term effects of all currently
available antipsychotics,which the study medication I am on cannot cause but will not reverse. Lamictal apart from monitoring for a rare rash (1 in a thousand people) which will stop if discontinued is otherwise safe and effective. I would see a psychiatrist and if offered a choice of treatments out of all the ones used for bpd that I am aware of I've found Lamictal to be the best. There is a seperate forum for that community as well but avoid some posts within in that appear to discourage mental health treatment. Psychiatric treatment in addition to talk therapy has been found highly effective for borderline personality disorder.