Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Depakote ER and Drinking

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Depakote ER and Drinking

I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II, and am currentlly hypomanic. Last Thursday I started 500 mgs of Depakote ER with no side effects. I also take Klonapin as needed (.5mg) and Seraquel to sleep (75 mgs).
My question, I really feel like partying, and know of a few going on this weekend. The Depakote has not slowed me down at all. I know I cannot take a Klonopin and drink.
My question: What will happen to me if I drink on the Depakote ER?
I know it effects the liver, but what I really want to know is what will happen to me that night - will I have less of a tolerance? pass out? anything that bad?

I just can't stand to sit still, stay in and watch a movie - I have to go out!!!
It is highly recommended that you do not drink with Depakote..it interferes with the medication.

How about going to a party and not drinking.  A lot of people who can't drink for one reason or another don't always stay home watching movies.

In terms of immediate effect, no one can tell you for sure what will happen.
1 Comment
Be very careful, if this is your choice.  Some people simply have less tolerance for alcohol, and for others, alcohol has the effect of canceling out your medications.  This can really drop the world out from under your feet, and send you into a tailspin of depression.  Is it possible that the desire to go out and drink with friends is representative of a hypomanic state for you?  This may be something to explore..
Good luck with your choices.
I drank while taking the same dosage as you........500mg of Depakote ER, and it was almost 24 hours since I had taken the Depakote before I drank. I DO NOT recommend it AT ALL! I was at a club, and I drank a pint of rum and I was all over the place.  I couln't even function, and normally I would have just been buzzed a little. Try smoking a little weed instead.  :-)
         GOOD LUCK and BE CAREFUL!
                Noelle24
Hi, I'm taking 1500mg of Depakote ER and have found that my tolerance to drinking is alot lower.  Also, the folowing day I feel very foggy headed aside from being hung over.  Its as if I have a hard time just making a thought.  Anyhow, that's my take on it so far.
i take 1500 mg of depakote and have drank it is hard for me to get drunk do not take the seroquel i take 100mg and had a hard time waking up.