Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Depakote Side Effects (Hair Loss)

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Depakote Side Effects (Hair Loss)

I have been taking Depakote (500 mg per day) for 2 1/2  months.  I also take Luvox (200 mg per day).  I have lost at least 1/3 of my hair and the texture is dry and limp.  My normal texture was smooth and shiny.  

Per my doctors advise, I have begun taking the Centrum Silver vitamin daily along with 800 mg Vit E, 100 mcg Silenium, 100 mg Zinc, and 1000 mcg of B12.  The thinning may have slowed some but is still occurring.  The texture has improved some.

Will this thinning continue throughout the duration of the treatment?  I will be bald before long!  Will the hair return the same color and texture?  Any ideas?

Is there a chance for damage to my pancreas?  Are there other treatment alternatives for mood disorders?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Suzanne,

It is unfortunate that you are experiencing the side effects that you describe. Depakote may cause hair loss, and rarely pancreatitis. Some clinicians recommend treatment of Depakote-associated hair loss with vitamin supplements that contain zinc and selenium. However, it is difficult to tell if the hair loss will continue, or if your hair will return to its previous color and texture. Other mood-stabilizers to be considered instead of Depakote include Lithium and Tegretol (carbamazepine). I urge you to discuss your concerns further with your treating physician/psychiatrist.
1 Comment
I have a neice on the following meds:
     Depakote 500mg 3x a day
     Paxil 20 mg    1 in am
     Risperidol 1mg 3x a day
would this cause seipage from her breast, like a milky white
substance?
I too am taking depakote combined with neurontin.  I find that I have lost hair and although it still looks ok, it is thin and becoming dry.  I spend so much time worrying about hair loss and appearance, that I hate to put this drug into by body.  I have discussed this with my psychiatrist and he says that only a small percent of people lose their hair and it is a good trade off.  What can I suggest in place of depakote and how can a patient persuade a doctor that living a "normal" life in society revolves a great deal around your appearance.  No woman wants to be in public with dry thin wispy hair and bald spots. Thank you