Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Depression on the birth control pill

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Depression on the birth control pill

Dear doctor

I'm a 19 year old student who has been on the pill for about a year and a half, for about 8 months now i have had spells of depression where i cry for no apparent reason, feel lost and empty. I have also lost my sexual appetite which i think really defeats the whole purpose of taking the pill.  I feel like i'm going crazy and everyone i have talked to says that it's because of the pill.  I was just wondering if it's all in my head or does the pill really do contribute to my temporary insanity.
Birth control pills and other medications may cause depression. An association with depression and your use of it may point that the birth control pills may be the cause. Usually if BC pills are discontinued, your mood improves. If not, your depression may be caused by other factors.

Consult a psychistrist for a full evaluation.