Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Depression or hypothyroidism?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Depression or hypothyroidism?

Posted by Emily on August 06, 1999 at 19:29:23
After the birth of my daughter I suffered from what I would call moderate to severe post partum depression.  I did not want to take care of her and feared I would cause physical harm to her.  She is now 3 years old and in the last 3 years I have developed many undiagnosed symtoms (symptoms) which include:  No sex drive, low energy levels. constipation, fatigue, depression(off and on), dry skin, and extreme forgetfulness.  I have been treated with hormone creams with no sucess.  I am being tested for hypothyroidism now, but I think I have been tested by another doctor and it was negative.
If it is not hypothyroidism, what would be another possible explanation for the symptoms?

Posted by HFHS M.D.-SW on August 11, 1999 at 10:36:12
Dear Emily,
       Many of the symptoms you mentioned are suggestive of Depression.  Sleep disturbance, appetite changes, lack of motivation,  sense of hopelessness, low energy, poor concentration, irritability, low sex drive and in some cases suicidal thoughts.  Hypothyroidism may give a similar picture to depression.  It is important to rule out a thyroid  disorder.
        Considering your history and symptoms it is important to see a psychiatrist.  Therapy and medication may be benefical to alleviate your symptoms.
Sincerely,
    HFHS-M.D.-SW
* Keywords:  Depression, Hypothyroidism