Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Dosage and withdrawal symptoms

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Dosage and withdrawal symptoms

I have been taken 225mg of effexor xr for about 3 years until recently.  I have since switched to taking Regular Effexor 3 times a day.  (since I pay out of pocket it is cheaper)Due to a hectic schedule and just plain forgetfullness, I tend to forget to take one or two of my dosages.  This cause dizziness, nausea, plain fits of irrational thoughts or fits of crying.  My question is this ususal and should I go back to taking the effexor xr once a day or should I switch to paxil cr which covers the same symptoms but is cheaper to purchase??
The choice is yours, but omitting a dose or two every so often shouldn't have any real effect, so maybe you should experiment and observe a little longer before changing something that otherwise works for you.
I noticed that doctor hasn't answered yet, but maybe I can add a little from my experience and maybe that will help you.  

I just discontinued taking Effexor XR after about 2 and a half years and it was the most difficult and painful thing I have ever done!  The side effects for me were:  increased depression, confusion, dizziness, diarrhea, nausea, and very weird dreams.
The only relief I am getting is by switching to an SSRI, Celexa. The "Discontinuation Syndrome" from the Effexor XR seems to be going away very slowly, but I hope surely!  

I hope that's helpful!  Good luck to you :)
I have been experiencing Nausea on and off for weeks since my Dr. increased my Celexa dosage from 20 to 30mg.

I have since been tapering off back down to 20mg, and have been on 20mg for 2 weeks now.  The nausea however persists, can this be a side affect of celexa.

Also, when the Dr. initially increased my dose, Nausea waves would come on so strong that I would break out into a cold sweat, start shivering, and had tremors.  They were so bad that I went to the ER twice.  My Dr. tried to increase me again to 40mg. afte rI told him about what was happening, because theNausea and physical symptoms launched me into a full-blown panick atttack.  I did not take his direction as I intuitively realized that the Clexa was probably causing the attacks.

Still, why the residual nausea?

Any feedback?  I appreciate any messages.
I have been taking Effexor XR for over 4 years, I also take Wellbutrin.  I have very bad reactions as well when I forget to take a dose or can't afford to buy them.  My doctor told me it was very dangerous to not take the effexor.  Missing dosages can cause severe side effects.  I had no money and I was out of Effexor, for 4 days I didn't take it and during that time and for a week after, I had no idea what was going on.  Please be careful, I know that I will be on this the rest of my life.
I've been on 75mg effexor xr for over a year.  I went to my Dr. because of the side effects, tiredness, weight gain and dizziness when I forget to take my medicine from time to time. He put me on wellbutrin and over the weekend I tried to adjust but the dizziness was unbelievable worse than the effexor.  Monday came and he wrote me a prescription for me to take 150mg of the effexor, I'm afaird to take the extra dose due to the dizziness, but I also don't want to be so tired anymore.  I'm at a loss and need some advice!!
april I had the same thing if i ran out of effexor and didnt take it I felt very dizy almost high or drunk nasua puking and withdraw irritable nightmares I was sensitive to it but it does have a with draw that kicks in fast if you miss a dose many other ssri have the same with out nasau for me but the cranky withdraw