Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Dr... is mental strenght the key to cure?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Doc,

I have had panic attacks for about six months now, which all started after i thought I had HIV after "doing it" with a former girlfrind. I dissected the entire web on HIV and checked out the sypmtoms  flu, burning armits groin inflamed etc). Of course I had none of these symotomes initially but my mind kept "watching for them" and eventually they did develop. If I read of another symptom that developed as well.Was all anxiety based and guilt base ( I am married). I had HIV tests at 90 and 120 days later only to find all negative. In the interim I had a burning sensation in my head, heavy heartbeat,loss onf concentration, sense of humor, throbbing groin etc etc. Now I have come to terms that I dont have anything but these symotoms persist mildly. I saw a doc and he gave my some tegretol 200mg once at bedtime.But I discountied it abruptly.

My questions to you
1. Can mental strength come over all these symotoms without medication since I now realise I am okay.
2.Usually how long does it take to become normail again.
3.I also dont want to see a therapist. Is that okay.
4.I have comittied a sin and couldthis be guilt?Should I tell my wife
5. Can this cause permamant damage to the body in any way?

Please do let me know. I am not stressed out anymore and have come to grips with the situation.

Your forum is the last time I want to discuss this issue

Pajero
yes, by recognizing the reality and coming to grips with your guilt, you will get over this without medication, and you are already well on your way.  You have already punished yourself with these worries...you may have punished yourself enough.  Telling your wife may be a bad idea because you may end up punishing her that way...and that doesn't sound like what you want to do.

As long as you are getting over this, then seeing a therapist is not necessary.  You will have learned that a mistake like this does not sit well with your own conscience...and that is the biggest lesson of all to remember.
Sounds like you have anxiety... sometimes obsessive thoughts and anxiety about having deseases is a part of a panic and anxiety condition.

Sounds like your infidelity had something to do with feeling anxious about contracting an STD.  Why on earth get married if you are going to be unfaithful?  

All this time you have been totally obsessed with having a disease and your wife has probably been suffering also with your mental absence.  Is this fair to her and your relationship, not to speak of yourself?

I would NOT tell my wife as it has the potential to destroy the relationship.  This is just my personal view as I would never trust you again, and probably never let u "in" again.  I would really work on your relationship if you want to stay in it.. and don't be unfaithful again.  

I would also spend time exploring what on earth made you go outside your relationship for sex... spend time on this problem rather than worrying about an STD and surfing the net for countless hours.  You said you want this forum to be the "end" of this discussion, however I really do believe u should address what the reason was for your straying, so that you can move forward to a better and more positive future with your wife.

good luck
Peggy

Peggy

Thanks. I must admit, I was dumb. No I will not tell, of course but vow never do commit someting of this nature again. What was I thinking?

My question was that should I go to get treated by  a neuro of physio? I still have a burning sensation in my head, still intestines, electricity in my nerves in toes and inflamed armits sometimes. I know anxiety can create some symptoms as well.

All in this is lesson to all. Love your wife and kids, if any. They are irreplaceble

Regards

were you feeling depressed before your affair? i feel bad for her but you have to be true to yourself in order to over come anxiety. you sound like a sensitive individual that has no intention on hurting anyone purposely and that is why i will be easier on you than anyone who cheats. im no angel either. iv made plenty of mistakes in the past but iv come to realized it was caused by not loving myself or knowing who i was. i can blame that on my not so loving childhood. i was quite mixed up for years. if your not doing what you really want for yourself your anxiety could worsen. but then again is this just a case of a weak moment in your life and you learned from your mistake by getting a big scare. keep getting tested once in a while just to keep reasuring yourself. for the cheating end; remember, it may hurt on the partners  end but people make mistakes and you can go mad by guilt alone. if your anxiety gets worse ask yourself whats really bothering you the most. not what you think could be bothering you ,what you know is bothering you and make a decision. remember, you have to take your medicine to fix the wounds. if im way out of line disregard this message. best of luck. (this is my advise in leaving out medication) but, med do help
Keeknap/Peggy

You are both right. I have learnt a lesson the hard way and will take some meds to get better.
Maybe it is the guilt thats getting the better of me, I think I need to chill out and promise my self this is not going to happen again,I am really a sensitive guy. Ethics morales and principples form the basis of my like but this episode is my only balc spoy.

Hope i will be okay ina few weeks

Regards to all