Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Drug interactions - Paxil

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Drug interactions - Paxil

Hi.  I am a 39 year old female, life long social phobic.  I was recently given an Rx for Paxil from my Ob/Gyn at my yearly check up and it is working wonderously!  All anxious areas in my life are better, not just social situations, but going to the mail box or falling asleep at night, I don't have to analyze it to death before I do things. My question is this - I am also taking Atenolok 50 mg/day for mitral valve prolapse, and Klonopin 1 mg. 3 times/week.  I have read in "Prozac, Panacea or Pandora" that there can be dangerous interactions between the SSRI's and benzodiazepines, and when I take my Klonopin I do notice a stronger effect than before Paxil.  Is it dangerious for me to take these 2 drugs together on a regular basis? Could I be building up toxic levels of the Klonopin and not realize it? How much interaction between these 2 drugs is there, and should I decrease the dose? (of the Klonopin.)  I know if I asked my ObGyn she would say that she is not a psychiatric doctor and I should find one, but due to insurance issues that is cost-prohibitive to me at this time. Thanks in advance foe anything you can tell me regarding Paxil and drug interactions.

Autumn
Paxil and Klonopin are frequently prescribed together, and the dose you are taking is quite modest.  The klonopin does not build up on the schedule you are taking, so that is not a problem.  You do have to be most careful when you stop Paxil, that is when trouble can occur, and similarly with Klonopin but not as much of a problem.