Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Effect of steroids on Tourette's
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Effect of steroids on Tourette's

Hello.
I'm a 24 year-old male that has Tourette's Syndrome and I'm trying to find information on how anabolic-androgenic steroids could affect my tics.  For hormone therapy for another medical condition that I have, my doctor has recommended that he give me an AAS (I believe he said it's Testosterone Enanthate).  I'm wondering, in your opinion, is it generally accepted that AAS's will cause an exacerbation of tics?  Is there another type of AAS (besides pure testosterone) that he could give me that wouldn't cause more tics?  I would greatly appreciate your help because my current doctor doesn't seem to think it will be a problem.  Thank you!
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
I don't have any direct knowledge to offer you but I doubt whether there is any literature to support the idea that androgen effects tics...it seems quite unlikely, but you can search the medical literature and try to find out, or you can take small doses, and stop if the tics get worse.
2 Comments
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
The problem with taking any anabolic steroids is that the body has sensors, and the endochrine organ that produces these substances shuts down when they are provided artificially. If the organs shut down long enough they atrophy. Thus testosterone given inappropriately can result in a complete atrophy of the organs that normally produce testosterone. Needless to say, this is not good for your love life. There is some anecdotal evidence that any steroid that depresses the immune system can produce Tourette type symptoms. Whether this translates into an out and out recommendation not to use certain steroids involves a risk-benefit decision. You provide a "missing piece" medical history.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979