Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Effexor alone or add wellbutrin?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Effexor alone or add wellbutrin?

I began taking paxil in 12-03 for anxiety. I've gained a lot of weight and asked my MD if another SSRI might help my symptoms without the side effect of weight-gain. He suggested a trial of 75 ml Effexor, with the option of adding wellbutrin later if needed. My anxiety symptoms seem manageable with Effexor, but I do feel very sleepy in the mornings. Would the addition of wellbutrin possibly help my energy level increase? I'm concerned about taking too much medicine, but am willing to try the addition of  wellbutrin if it might help me feel more energetic. If adding wellbutrin might help, what time of day would I take the wellbutrin? I take Effexor one time a day in the morning. Thank you for considering my question.
the combination of wellbutrin and effexor might just do the trick for you, assuming you have stopped or will stop the paxil.  You can take wellbutrin any time during the day.
1 Comment
I took Wellbutrin for 2- 3 years, and yes, it did make me feel more energetic. But, it did increase the anxiety symptoms - especially the palpitations and rapid heart beat.   If those cardiac symptoms are a specific concern I'd stay away from Wellbutrin. By the way, of all the anti-depressents I've tried, Wellbutrin was the most energizing and the most anxiety provoking, for what it's worth.  Good luck!
I am currently taking Effexor 75. I am coming off Effexor to go onto Wellbutrin SR 150. I need to know after resding all of this information,how is the best way to wean Effexor and start wellbutrin ? Should I start taking the Wellbutrin then wean off the Effexor or come off Effexor first then go to Wellbutrin ? My Dr. said it didn;t matter, she also downplayed the withdrawls of the Effexor also ..