Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Effexor and dystonia

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Effexor and dystonia
I forgot to mention that I suffer from Spasmodic Dysphonia - involuntary spasms of the vocal cords - and I am increasingly worried about my condition and the side effects of effexor-xr, one of which is tremor/movement disorders. Could the effexor-xr increase the effects of my SD or cause other neurological dysfunction? Would I be better off on an anti-depressant that did not have this particular side-effect?
Narelle
Dear Narelle

I am not aware of any studies stating that Effexor worsens the symptoms of spasmodic dysphonia. Neurologically, effexor can some times cause amnesia, confusion, twitching, increase the   involuntary  movements. Since you are already experiencing increased anxiety from Effexor,  I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about your concerns

Yours Sincerely
HFHS-M.D.