Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Effexor and pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Effexor and pregnancy
I'm on 112.5 mg a day of Effexor, and am concerned about the effect this would have on a baby, if I were to fall pregnant.

Could you tell me if anything is known about this, and if I did fall pregnant, what th epossible effects could be.

The FDA has labeled Effexor a "schedule C drug", meaning that its safety in pregnancy in humans is unknown. You may want to discuss effective methods of contraception with your doctor. It is usually advisable to be off psychiatric medications when trying to concieve.
My boyfriend is taking effexor (75mg per day) and we will be married in June. We want to try to have a child right away. Is there any problems that I should know about?
Thank you.
I would like to know what the best procedure would be to follow, changing from Effexor XR (75mg) to Cipramil. (Do I first have to ween off the Effexor completely before starting the Cipramil?)

I have tried weening off Effexor with the help of homeopathic remedies, but after a very traumatic period, I had to go back onto the Effexor everyday.  

I would really like to have a baby, but am not convinced that it is safe enough while on Effexor.
Please help!!
Hi Bronwyn,
I was on 75 mg of Effexor while I was pregnant and was told that they didn't evidence either way regarding the side effects on the baby. This was in 2005 and I have since found several sites to say that it has been reclassified and is no longer condidered safe. I had a relatively normal pregnancy and my son is now 2 and a half and healthy, however when he was born he had what they decribed as "jitteryness" for a few days and was a very difficult baby for the first few month, which I am sure was effexor withdrawal. If I were to want to fall pregnant again I would definitely ween off effexor and onto another drug. I just don't think it's worth the risk. At least Cipramil has been around a long time while effexor is still very new.
Good luck,
Tanya
i took 150mg my entire pregnany. I had really bad morning sickness and i tryed to go off effexor. that is just lethal combination. if your happy...your healthy....that is the best combination for your growing baby.